Questions about children's reactions to butchering chickens

Quote:
gig.gif

That's funny. Mine are 8,6,4,2 and 1. Our last butcher, we caught them playing with the feet making roaring dinosaur noises and "fighting" with them like they were toys.

My daughter has always helped us with processing our chickens. The first few times she got a little nauseous, but it doesn't bother her at all now. We spent time explaining how nice it was of the chickens to become our dinner and how much we appreciate it and I think that helped her a lot. We also told her that we help our chickens live a happy life while they are with us and not all chickens get as happy of a life as ours do. The last time we processed chickens, she asked to save an intestinal tract to show her friends.
roll.png

I think it's a great thing to expose small children to.

Butchering is a great teachable moment, what is this part, what is that part. Soon as they get past the graphic aspect it becomes interesting and even fun to an extent.

Like posted above being squeemish about where food comes from is 100% learned if you act like your icked out by it they will be too.

Best thing is to make the first experience a good one, don't kill the old red rooster and cook it up that evening as their first experience.

Better to cull a young bird that will be better on the table. Take the time to make sure it is super cleaned and cooked nicely. Once there is a wow moment that this is way better than store bought then all is good.

My boys helped with our butchering, but really didn't like the killing part, so they have opted out of that part. They didn't mind the scalding, plucking. I'd probably keep them away from the kill portion until they get accustomed to the butcher part, primarily if you have a kill go sideways on you with a flopping bird.

My wife is from the city and I am from the country. Should I say more?

When we got married she obviously new about my passion for hunting, farming and growing my own food. Part of it was instilled in me from parents and grandparents and a lot was that I could provide for myself. She was into horses "Dressage" to be more accurate. This type of activity although around barns outdoors and other animals was not about the country life far from it. That’s the background.

I have 3 daughters 12, 8 and 1. The 12 year old use to hunt with me and grow food in the garden. She has now moved on to clothes, IPOD, computer and rap style music (when I am not around) UUHHGGG. She use to help butcher my deer, elk and chickens. My wife will not be around when that happens and does not like the hunting but as with all marriages allows it and sometimes eats venison. The way she was brought up in the city effected how she perceives how and where meat and food in general comes from. It tends to rub off on the kids when she makes comments because I hear the same verbiage from them. This is when I go into the teaching mode with them and discuss what we have why we have it also talk with/at them like they are adults no babying or beating around the bush. Also explaining that you can't have your yummy fried chicken and not no where it comes from.

The 8 year old is all about growing food and helps me process the ducks, chickens and other game. She is always asking questions and wanting to cut stuff open to see what’s in there. I try to oblige her and explain what is and how it works. We are also working on the Pet vs. food chicken and bunny. Chickens are easier the bunnies! She can't get past the cute little nose and eyes. I like them to but they taste so good. I my still have a shot with her!

The 1 year old is just into hats. She has to take it off my head and put it on hers every time I pick her up. I might still have a shot with her also.

Just my 2 cents.

As a child, I grew up understanding the necessity part of hunting and animal husbandry. I still have vivid, if not fond, memories of the whole thing. My kids, on the other hand, have never been exposed to it. This will all change soon. The wife and I are finally expanding form just having layers and shifting in CX's. The oldest daughter already said that she can't be around them for fear she'll not be able to eat them. My youngest daughter (the hunter of the family) is pretty excited all the way around.

We have a rule in the house: if it has a name, you can't eat it. These CX's shall not be named....
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom