Questions about coccidiosis (not urgent)

CochinFancy

Chirping
Aug 3, 2019
I posted earlier this weekend about sick chicks... well so far I’ve lost all but one. I’m heartbroken. I got undiluted Corid down him and the other two still remaining but they both died and this little rooster is still going. He’s even standing up and was sitting on top of his water earlier.

This prompted a few questions that I did not see the answers to online.

1) does anyone have any idea why he’s still alive and the other 4 died? I didn’t do anything different with him.

2) I read that oocysts can stay on the ground to be ingested for years, and nothing kills them. I lost babies to this last year too. Should I stop raising chickens in this part of my yard or are these things literally everywhere? As in, it won’t matter where I raise them?

3) I treated a hen in the same barn with Corid just to be safe. How long until I can eat the eggs she lays?

4) A breeder told me on Facebook that she has Corid as a preventative in her water, and her chicks still got sick. Is there any sure way to prevent this?

5) Does coccidiosis come in bouts? I had somebody in my 4h club tell me they lost 5 turkeys to it, somebody else that bought chicks from me said she lost 6 polish from it, so it seems to be around in my area. I find this funny because my dad had raised birds 30 years before I was born and had never seen it.

Coccidia can become resistant to Corid, which is overused in this country. The thing about Corid is that all it does is slow the reproduction of the protozoa. It does not kill the protozoa or help with secondary infection. Therefore, it's actually a pretty useless preventative.

Your surviving chick likely has a stronger immune system.

Cocci is present in all soils all yearlong but thrives in wet, hot environments. Therefore, it appears more often in spring and in overcrowded environments.

There are chemicals that can kill the oocytes in the soil and on equipment. Oxine, for example.

Coccidia protozoa are everpresent in the small intestine. The population grows out of control when there are stressors.

It does not kill the protozoa or help with secondary infection. Therefore, it's actually a pretty useless preventative.

I read this on the website, and I was horrified.

The soil and weather is so wet this year my horses hoof abscessed. So I can believe it happening this year but I can’t believe it happened two years in a row. I’ll have to figure out where I can purchase Oxine.

Would bleach work on a cage?

I read this on the website, and I was horrified.

The soil and weather is so wet this year my horses hoof abscessed. So I can believe it happening this year but I can’t believe it happened two years in a row. I’ll have to figure out where I can purchase Oxine.

Would bleach work on a cage?
Yes, bleach will work well.

Back
Top Bottom