Questions about coturnix quail chicks

@Casron007, are you able to take a picture of the quail with their eyes closed, just as you described?

88F is pretty low for day old quail. They may be too cold. Sometimes, the chicks close their eyes and puff out their feathers to preserve the body heat that they need…

I think they need a cooler end. 90 degrees at one end and 88 at the other doesn't 'et them get out of the heat. Start with lowering the temperature and see what happens.
I lowered the temperature and the still have the same thing

The next thing to stop would be the probiotics. Chicks shouldn't need those. @007Sean , do you have any ideas?
Judging by the pics of the poop, and their behavior, I'd have to say it's a temperature issue.

Are the chicks drinking an excessive amount of water? Their poop looks a little on the runny side, caused by temperature being too high for them, at that age, they can not regulate their own internal temperature.

What is the ambient temperature of the room they are being brooded in?

Quail chicks require about 95° the first week. Their gamebird starter needs to be ground up for the first 3-4 days. And thier water should be 95°F when it's put in the brooder for the first week.

I grind my feed for three days. I warm filtered water to 95°F when I change water. And I use an angled heat plate (Premier 1 Supply) which allows the chicks to seek their own comfort level, and allows them to experience day & night.

Back
Top Bottom