Questions about duck picking on another duck

Flik168

Hatching
5 Years
May 30, 2014
Hi, I have a problem with one of my ducks picking on another duck. I have 6 ducks, 3 females, and 3 males and they are about 14 weeks old now. The duck being picked on is a huge male pekin duck and the one picking on him is a male khaki campbell. The khaki campbell started chasing the pekin around a few days ago. He chases him all the time and tries to peck at him. The pekin doesn't want to fight back and ends up running from him and going to sit in the corner all the time and is then away from all the other ducks. I feel bad that the pekin has to be sad and sit in the corner. When I separate the mean one from the rest, they are all happy again and everything is fine. So I really don't know what to do now. Will I have to get rid of the one being mean so the rest can be happy? Or if I keep the mean one separated for a I little while, will he calm down or grow out of this and stop picking on the other one?

welcome-byc.gif
Three drakes is really more than you need for three ducks. The Khaki Campbell isn't really being 'mean'. His instincts are telling him to chase the other male from the flock. It all comes down to trying to make sure that HIS DNA gets passed on. If they were mine, I would get rid of one of the drakes. If you remove the Pekin, understand that the aggressive drake may then start picking on the remaining drake. Good luck at resolving this.

Thanks for your response. Yes I know that 3 drakes is too many for 3 females, I have already ordered more females now that I know how many of each I have. Do you think once I get more females, the khaki campbell will calm down or will he always be like this? The khaki campbell would be the one I would find a new home for if needed. This is my first time owning ducks so I am new to all of this and any advice is greatly appreciated.

In my opinion 14 weeks is early for such behavior. It may very well be that he will remain overly aggressive for his entire life. Only time will tell if that is true or not.

He has always been the most feisty of the bunch so maybe he will continue to be like that. But he has never done anything like this to the other ducks. Thanks again.

Sounds like he needs a new home if you've already decided which should go. I wouldn't want an aggressive one but that's just my own opinion. I have a mallard hen who seems a lil pushy but she's still young so I'm watching her. It's kinda funny cuz everytime she pokes my pekin it always makes a loud HONK!

Thanks for all the advice. We just found the duck a new home and he seems very happy and all the other are back to normal and happy too!

Hi I have 2 females one is 17 weeks old she a khaki campbell and the other one is a x runner the khaki Campbell she keeps pecking her on her neck face but it's meany when there eating or drinking the x runner is abit older then the khaki Campbell?

Back
Top Bottom