Questions about flooring & deep cleaning the coop

2mnypets

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Saucier, Mississippi
I must say first and foremost that the wealth of information that this website and forum brings to the general public has been invaluable to my husband and I in setting up our first flock and coop.

Here is my question...When it comes to actual flooring and cleaning, does everyone use just a wood floor or does anyone use any other type of flooring like you would find in a home? I was reading the messages regarding the deep litter method and there was a number of folks that state once a year they do a total clean out and spray with a 1:10 ratio of bleach water, or in place of bleach they use orange and peppermint. Would flooring like linoleum (since it's cheaper than tile etc.) work for an easier clean up for that yearly clean? Has there been any research done to determine if any flooring (other than wood) is harmful or contraindicated for use in a chicken coop?

Also, does anyone use anything for the walls like a polypropolene product (you've seen them in restaurants...they are plastic panels or sheets with micro knobs all over) that is easily wiped down and sterilized when the need arises? I know it was mentioned in the other forum that if you rake or use the scratch method, the flooring will remain intact and ammonia smell will not be an issue. I was just wondering if the walls are the same way. The deep litter method would cut down on the smell and so forth on the floor...was just wondering if the wood walls would absorb any odor or is it just extreme to think that one could use something other than wood on the walls.

It could be that I'm just thinking to deeply on this or else I can't separate the chicken mommy from the nurse.
roll.png
Any feedback would be great.

Hmmmmm....I guess it depends on how big is the coop?? How much money do you want to put into it?

I live in the country....my chicken coop is a remodeled "lean-to" off of DH's shop.....oh, and you can bet he was NOT too happy with that!! LOL

They have a dirt/gravel floor.....and I use straw on the flooring. I rake mine out about once every 3 months or so. No smell....no moisture problems...so far..after 2 yrs, so good. They have wood walls, and a metal roof, with a large vent, and windows. When its too hot, they just stay outside. The have a small kiddie pool....I keep about 4 inches of water in for them dureing the summer, in the shade. My chickens LOVE water...unlike so many posts I have read on here. I just dont let it get deep enough for them to drown.

I would think linoleum would be good....and easier to keep clean...but you will still need something on the floor, to keep it warm and non slip...like pine shaveings or straw. As far as the wall coverings you mentioned...they would be easy to clean, and disinfect...just costly if going with a large place. My coop is about 10 x 20 maybe, and I am planning to add on for more hens.

Our frame of the coop right now is 8x10. We are putting in the insulation and wood for the flooring and walls this weekend. We have two windows to put in on the south and east side of the coop. There will be ventilation at the top near the ceiling and our roof is slanted going from 8' to 5'. I don't think we have decided what roofing material will be used yet. I plan on having the deep litter method, I was just wanting input into the fundamental flooring and walls for when we deep clean the coop.

I appreciate your ideas and think I will try the swimming pool idea. That is if my Newfoundland dogs don't try to go through the fence thinking they are going to swim in it
tongue.png
lol.png

I have just begun building our coop its oddly shaped and will be approx. 8x6. We don't have a lot money to spend on the project so I am trying to find inexpensive ways to make it happen.
The coop will be covered on the floor with banner material along with the walls. We plan to put left over shingles from my log shed on to the roof with a sky light made from lexan (plastic) and lexan will be used to make 3 windows east, south and west. Most of the materials used are recycled or discarded from a sign company. Also, the coop is being built from palettes. I know it will take a little longer to build but I will fell better I tried to be green for the environment.
Hope this helps.

You ask about deep cleaning and I for one don't recommend you ever deep clean you coop unless you have to deal with sometype of disease or if you are putting a completely new flock of birds in it. My reasoning for this is so that you keep your birds exposed to a degree to what ever types of pathogens that my be in the litter and poop. By leaving just a little say in the corners or a little dried poop on the roost or the wall they will have continual exposer so their immune systems keep working and fighting off those things. If you do a DEEP cleaning and take everything out and disenffect the whole thing now their immune system start to shut down since there is nothing there for them to fight off and so if something does come to the coop it could overwhelm them.

Just some thoughts of mine.

You are right Wes. I don't know why I didn't think about that. So as long as I leave a little, then their exposure resistance should continue. Thanks again.

Wes, I agree with you, but for another reason, as well.

In all of life, the "good" bacterial flora are duking it out with the "bad" bacterial flora (same in the insect world with beneficials), and if you wipe out EVERYTHING, it seems to me that it is the "bad" bacterial flora which benefit the most; it takes a long time to re-establish a healthy balance.

Back
Top Bottom