Questions About Geese... & a small discussion about fish

Pics

HuffleClaw

Sudden Reptile Fanatic
5 Years
Jul 8, 2018
Alabama
Okay, it is pretty much set in stone that I’m getting geese next year. Probably some time in March or April.

Can someone give me an idea of a good shelter for geese? Do they free range all day and go up at night only? Or should they be confined always?

Is having a male necessary? I know they can be especially aggressive during breeding season. Will 2-4 females be okay without a male?

If I get juveniles or adults rather than goslings, how long should I keep them 'quarantined' from my other poultry?

Ideal diet for geese? Same as ducks?

Sorry I’m all over the place. :th

Thanks for any help,

Kayla.

Hi!

My geese live in the coop with the rest of my birds. Some have chosen to live in the emu barn, which also works fine. I let mine out to free range when I can.

Males are not necessary, only if you want goslings. I like my boys though. I picked a very docile breed, and so I don't have any trouble with ganders during the breeding season. Worst that ever happens is that they hiss at me. 2-4 females would do fine without a male, though :) They'll still try to hatch their eggs, even without a male, so you'll probably want to plan to take them all if you just keep females, so that they don't sit for a month for no reason.

I'd say a month. Waterfowl do not carry as many diseases as chickens, but they can still carry some, and a month is a safe minimum quarantine period. I'd deworm them during this time, too.

Geese can eat the same food as ducks, and should be on the same type of starter, since like ducks they need a higher niacin level in their starter feed. As adults, again the same type of feed as ducks as fine. But, geese LOVE grass. It is what they evolved to eat. They will eat grass over feed. If you have pasture you can let them out to graze, they will be very happy. My feed bill for the geese in the spring and summer when they can graze is very low, because they much prefer grass.

Thank you so so so much! Very helpful! We have tons of grass for them too.

Which breed did you choose? Hissing isn’t too bad for a male, I’m pretty sure I could handle that.

Tufted Romans :) They're an ancient breed, extremely docile, and also the smallest of all the domestic breeds. And critically endangered, too, so they can always use more people working with them.

If any geese owners have any pictures of their geese, feel free to share. :wee

You asked for it :p

goose 2.JPG

s4qKF2lpeXr-tdUublI1V_OIkV0DOcuWgSMAhhdAV7nBijpzebLfS95SfdOyqxLD5MKFjOu00nfKZe3cDlJ7BPsm2vDWEdWiKC2WOx6Is4Fmv91B28tMwAixpvoGTRIK-BRGzrTfhlGnT6YIJ7s6wcL62e-OTfFHqFLVCs7Io8pJStTNkrgYJM3jEpqI1SdPmxGzm4CzS1a923tMFu1PmSjYDXrzDLTbFbUyY8YqcZl-qeyddo5zJxGKkReidClCd_JR5Ribt_qJ3lxUKwHd1eduEcT6dE-bjbWqBxC-H_gkIh6_MQY8uYWQ21jc1nsCW-agizVvlAnfvmIFAVCVU_SQpyWS2br1MKSdwmZw6tsXgIST6TZ-dGOfmsBgj7Aov0RIkTUdhB12XpUuexkRcgL7dDvls4zK-PNOpD_edpi7ODrDqXhqKnOoGR2X4de_nZHsri9iRLnWjv7X7oV3KqW4gktIIoXslesRbb9DgK7JgGV_nZhzBVwqovlSz4lUiBEUaVEIDr_fbxpnUcmgG5PlCo2NLlshoiK7L7pnst0KyBCdQSKNdiHGws2m5VmGDH-AccmJ5YFyPblqOD5CIxYmwDL3P1iiuXjMbexzUAA7Kj1bDYKA8oYSHv6tOeQcdLdnAVtbvs_Y5fkKfo3vSlF9CbPk6w-5lJ9GqVx6TFQt0EjoL4zx5m8=w1184-h789-no

M4chv0ik5pEyQ5GSZYTtGK8A9K7kliopTUCa9h31ks5ghuEgY9dCS_Rqc3uabzBPX05apMm7CHkV1DZT5yCXVur0CdnDvQqdCInRdyfGCQYcic6hBwapxXycAxSacbxRaWv6ujiE5TKmzgdTKG6Wz7AFI4fGhU72T5MzLFEKEjjgdMdbwCdbDVTVGq4k2z8255_8mdTuQdmjQHW-orQCdq15h-2qawh1O-sSyPlZjhgM5VSz8D9ACzVxKszrvtgCS6ZnsQVUqBH6RYDJLpVl5QvIy_d1Y7qdE9WhP-91Yp774oCiICKiiEiCTmbkVW3qvih7-LkFTbTW_ilRWltDvpvYTS6mQR0nAEwamNFXaGUiPjPLt6msf9hhs-YPZvx1Uc-yNj-y_MDdxSHE0xPr921WpFN5nxYMdBOdEr4at4RO5zTY2votS7MX-pJRTKe58t2VcFdkkJxeDDVruWgXVE7Z--s6vnWoI_BEdXEbtFUIUNIYFz5t2cylUGgujRPsJW1EtCCID7rq2YRIi5anoh1gmd16aUsVb4kFqvEQE219Q-FlIya92610X9IFhGWrh9Hoz7SnsnZGdLGvZSavv0frt0rWKjcQ-bDjkfuXjaNrjEB0I_HIbjvP-7043-NnbGoLwj6_ucEaGS1wPJOxRjs9ZY0YUrv0M-phkAcl1OShceFpzLoy49M=w1052-h789-no

wIWzNHACESAYuSVzk5zwMVHNisAUnlMsKy6_yvleq_OKm02tL2x_tkpweY1GmyxtzJCunezw0zsRW1XTjmdcpTmCcvu9cVo7R9_ckkDvz59kB6_FOcNegQbRsr2HJJ1AvcwQQ6ChFhHbWoQm07kosVfgcycCGONfXhgN8lxwIf7uPykIvtjt26ngaQfVNeiz5I74EW4G4OCcpLqwxtGxRw2CsO0rqcu--Lqjh7EtQK3bT8stVYNvSAsuIrlp6SAuYmxvcq9pafm9LQp0z-jJgwET-xhh5ErQFpD3yN__NuI_75695rpg_dIbtUqH6Tn9tYk8ePKYolQ-5SFcEtbVdLaHJHZ1SEURt0YsHM3j5jhGrD9hAwBQZ44DHbTa_NMsSYMNpnZCj-FISSD87Gy1GAcVsRFouCAodRvWOYRuf44NkiUL_idRfOyUL92QaYImQ_SEqWuYgb9skiEQZr38JTnzGv53UxX4d9raXH5XgZjW9AyMeOuYDoqJN1mo_GMglCm4NSdmvpPp4CEk-ENwK9KdOfpA3yaZcwIYGRmXhmhi37JUTcx3KELStXsR6IEWEWIx4HO5Hs2wgDocNwt8R1_tEUUPvlLs5u9V9_B-bgtCcePn2ZhUo2cx-6jfBogzCnh-dnCtPUPHblnISH0crxDRZrhtrNbR2k3Z7GfeMs-f3rzzq_lShYs=w1184-h789-no

GR5GWyNuXNZqFGfrylbVj5siZu-_QdPVs1Sj5s2Srfj-WEU01wK20LfUk01L_qcoVaUJdADxXJIm88Whuj4yXfx-Tu_tJiCBFo4aoeVQwUDmXjZ1B34vp5mQVuQ6ZgF4rqwsA3dlouCKRz5UxN2UV6kSFrf6eOxT9mamAxlgoG6zS0uezhbENvIshj30AncqNoM0qzzA4ndoj3M6RZSVpwNuOGLJDYY32QkH4gfesb76pa12-VwXWTcmobGUOOKkvOQbe90RRyq5oA2EAAlEpYjgLgwyLwCo15Qwif7FFir5BHxwlrVq7f7NvPtGAmSorvCj85HAoe9sIjcWS8UOI9ZEG4p4_BHzOO0gI4Dq268EZ6uut17cu315gGso-684wKVYShmcd2_voA_8JBD-I799Ipbv1UuplzeQkNnC88Jc9RifBig2SNnupogo6QsYRn3VM1Fi92WGWS5bBY_ybkGGQ7jdhmjjltJF-bziaBSfj_Cjgo5y6mVYPdibkqqymszQztiekZM_GLebAAsbceCzJ3PrXgXW1wKy2gqaERlvJLiSu47gR42wstDndzn_lU29ZHUnIWHz9EvfpJEK5X_-qbKZNqiDglrC1J2offrOSYjMQRnroSPkjfvSDO7y90H1VTqoUSnogtxlxKvyeCEBgDIJeraUE9aposSUmWPqGEPtesQOJrQ=w835-h789-no

Aaannndd goslings being adorable:

Hi Kayla. I got a trio of American buff this past spring. There was a sharp learning curve for me, especially with all the poop they can make. I cleaned my brooder daily, and they pooped all over my lawn in a movable pen.

Mine ran from me and grew like weeds. I had to make a bigger pen for them weekly. I picked and snipped grass daily. They were like piranha when I put the grass down. It helped to make them a bit more friendly too. They were messy kids.

A few times throughout my journey I wasn't sure if I was cut out for geese. I had times I loved them and times I didn't know what to do with mine.

Eventually mine grafted themselves on my goats and stuck with them. Mine go in the big shed and find a place to sleep amongst my chickens, goats, donkeys, and muscovy.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much they graze the pasture this next year. Mine also eat an All Flock ration and some corn. I raised them on Purina flock raiser.

I'm getting 4 pilgrims this next May. I'm gonna try a male as my first one I ordered didn't survive shipping, which probably was a blessing in disguise.

My geese come running, flapping and honking when they see me. They are funny critters. I have come to love them. They are simple to keep, easy to please, and they make me smile daily.

Oh my... really?! I’m interested for sure. Whenever they are laying and available let me know. How many eggs do you ship at a time, usually?

I’m so sorry for all my questions. :oops:

You’re so sweet. :hugs I really appreciate all of your help.

So, I sell eggs individually, and let people decide how many they want to order to try to get however many goslings they want. Usually it ends up being four or six eggs because people are shooting for at least two or three geese. I can usually do more than that in an order though if needed, because I have four breeding females. I usually split the flock into two breeding groups; I haven't decided if I want to do that this year or not.

Don't apologize for questions! I never mind answering :)

Hi!

My geese live in the coop with the rest of my birds. Some have chosen to live in the emu barn, which also works fine. I let mine out to free range when I can.

Males are not necessary, only if you want goslings. I like my boys though. I picked a very docile breed, and so I don't have any trouble with ganders during the breeding season. Worst that ever happens is that they hiss at me. 2-4 females would do fine without a male, though :) They'll still try to hatch their eggs, even without a male, so you'll probably want to plan to take them all if you just keep females, so that they don't sit for a month for no reason.

I'd say a month. Waterfowl do not carry as many diseases as chickens, but they can still carry some, and a month is a safe minimum quarantine period. I'd deworm them during this time, too.

Geese can eat the same food as ducks, and should be on the same type of starter, since like ducks they need a higher niacin level in their starter feed. As adults, again the same type of feed as ducks as fine. But, geese LOVE grass. It is what they evolved to eat. They will eat grass over feed. If you have pasture you can let them out to graze, they will be very happy. My feed bill for the geese in the spring and summer when they can graze is very low, because they much prefer grass.
Thank you so so so much! Very helpful! We have tons of grass for them too.

Which breed did you choose? Hissing isn’t too bad for a male, I’m pretty sure I could handle that.

Back
Top Bottom