Questions About Geese... & a small discussion about fish

Pics

HuffleClaw

Sudden Reptile Fanatic
5 Years
Jul 8, 2018
Alabama
Okay, it is pretty much set in stone that I’m getting geese next year. Probably some time in March or April.

Can someone give me an idea of a good shelter for geese? Do they free range all day and go up at night only? Or should they be confined always?

Is having a male necessary? I know they can be especially aggressive during breeding season. Will 2-4 females be okay without a male?

If I get juveniles or adults rather than goslings, how long should I keep them 'quarantined' from my other poultry?

Ideal diet for geese? Same as ducks?

Sorry I’m all over the place. :th

Thanks for any help,

Kayla.

Hi!

My geese live in the coop with the rest of my birds. Some have chosen to live in the emu barn, which also works fine. I let mine out to free range when I can.

Males are not necessary, only if you want goslings. I like my boys though. I picked a very docile breed, and so I don't have any trouble with ganders during the breeding season. Worst that ever happens is that they hiss at me. 2-4 females would do fine without a male, though :) They'll still try to hatch their eggs, even without a male, so you'll probably want to plan to take them all if you just keep females, so that they don't sit for a month for no reason.

I'd say a month. Waterfowl do not carry as many diseases as chickens, but they can still carry some, and a month is a safe minimum quarantine period. I'd deworm them during this time, too.

Geese can eat the same food as ducks, and should be on the same type of starter, since like ducks they need a higher niacin level in their starter feed. As adults, again the same type of feed as ducks as fine. But, geese LOVE grass. It is what they evolved to eat. They will eat grass over feed. If you have pasture you can let them out to graze, they will be very happy. My feed bill for the geese in the spring and summer when they can graze is very low, because they much prefer grass.

Hi!

My geese live in the coop with the rest of my birds. Some have chosen to live in the emu barn, which also works fine. I let mine out to free range when I can.

Males are not necessary, only if you want goslings. I like my boys though. I picked a very docile breed, and so I don't have any trouble with ganders during the breeding season. Worst that ever happens is that they hiss at me. 2-4 females would do fine without a male, though :) They'll still try to hatch their eggs, even without a male, so you'll probably want to plan to take them all if you just keep females, so that they don't sit for a month for no reason.

I'd say a month. Waterfowl do not carry as many diseases as chickens, but they can still carry some, and a month is a safe minimum quarantine period. I'd deworm them during this time, too.

Geese can eat the same food as ducks, and should be on the same type of starter, since like ducks they need a higher niacin level in their starter feed. As adults, again the same type of feed as ducks as fine. But, geese LOVE grass. It is what they evolved to eat. They will eat grass over feed. If you have pasture you can let them out to graze, they will be very happy. My feed bill for the geese in the spring and summer when they can graze is very low, because they much prefer grass.
Thank you so so so much! Very helpful! We have tons of grass for them too.

Which breed did you choose? Hissing isn’t too bad for a male, I’m pretty sure I could handle that.

Thank you so so so much! Very helpful! We have tons of grass for them too.

Which breed did you choose? Hissing isn’t too bad for a male, I’m pretty sure I could handle that.

Tufted Romans :) They're an ancient breed, extremely docile, and also the smallest of all the domestic breeds. And critically endangered, too, so they can always use more people working with them.

Back
Top Bottom