Questions About Geese... & a small discussion about fish

If any geese owners have any pictures of their geese, feel free to share. :wee

You asked for it :p

goose 2.JPG

s4qKF2lpeXr-tdUublI1V_OIkV0DOcuWgSMAhhdAV7nBijpzebLfS95SfdOyqxLD5MKFjOu00nfKZe3cDlJ7BPsm2vDWEdWiKC2WOx6Is4Fmv91B28tMwAixpvoGTRIK-BRGzrTfhlGnT6YIJ7s6wcL62e-OTfFHqFLVCs7Io8pJStTNkrgYJM3jEpqI1SdPmxGzm4CzS1a923tMFu1PmSjYDXrzDLTbFbUyY8YqcZl-qeyddo5zJxGKkReidClCd_JR5Ribt_qJ3lxUKwHd1eduEcT6dE-bjbWqBxC-H_gkIh6_MQY8uYWQ21jc1nsCW-agizVvlAnfvmIFAVCVU_SQpyWS2br1MKSdwmZw6tsXgIST6TZ-dGOfmsBgj7Aov0RIkTUdhB12XpUuexkRcgL7dDvls4zK-PNOpD_edpi7ODrDqXhqKnOoGR2X4de_nZHsri9iRLnWjv7X7oV3KqW4gktIIoXslesRbb9DgK7JgGV_nZhzBVwqovlSz4lUiBEUaVEIDr_fbxpnUcmgG5PlCo2NLlshoiK7L7pnst0KyBCdQSKNdiHGws2m5VmGDH-AccmJ5YFyPblqOD5CIxYmwDL3P1iiuXjMbexzUAA7Kj1bDYKA8oYSHv6tOeQcdLdnAVtbvs_Y5fkKfo3vSlF9CbPk6w-5lJ9GqVx6TFQt0EjoL4zx5m8=w1184-h789-no

M4chv0ik5pEyQ5GSZYTtGK8A9K7kliopTUCa9h31ks5ghuEgY9dCS_Rqc3uabzBPX05apMm7CHkV1DZT5yCXVur0CdnDvQqdCInRdyfGCQYcic6hBwapxXycAxSacbxRaWv6ujiE5TKmzgdTKG6Wz7AFI4fGhU72T5MzLFEKEjjgdMdbwCdbDVTVGq4k2z8255_8mdTuQdmjQHW-orQCdq15h-2qawh1O-sSyPlZjhgM5VSz8D9ACzVxKszrvtgCS6ZnsQVUqBH6RYDJLpVl5QvIy_d1Y7qdE9WhP-91Yp774oCiICKiiEiCTmbkVW3qvih7-LkFTbTW_ilRWltDvpvYTS6mQR0nAEwamNFXaGUiPjPLt6msf9hhs-YPZvx1Uc-yNj-y_MDdxSHE0xPr921WpFN5nxYMdBOdEr4at4RO5zTY2votS7MX-pJRTKe58t2VcFdkkJxeDDVruWgXVE7Z--s6vnWoI_BEdXEbtFUIUNIYFz5t2cylUGgujRPsJW1EtCCID7rq2YRIi5anoh1gmd16aUsVb4kFqvEQE219Q-FlIya92610X9IFhGWrh9Hoz7SnsnZGdLGvZSavv0frt0rWKjcQ-bDjkfuXjaNrjEB0I_HIbjvP-7043-NnbGoLwj6_ucEaGS1wPJOxRjs9ZY0YUrv0M-phkAcl1OShceFpzLoy49M=w1052-h789-no

wIWzNHACESAYuSVzk5zwMVHNisAUnlMsKy6_yvleq_OKm02tL2x_tkpweY1GmyxtzJCunezw0zsRW1XTjmdcpTmCcvu9cVo7R9_ckkDvz59kB6_FOcNegQbRsr2HJJ1AvcwQQ6ChFhHbWoQm07kosVfgcycCGONfXhgN8lxwIf7uPykIvtjt26ngaQfVNeiz5I74EW4G4OCcpLqwxtGxRw2CsO0rqcu--Lqjh7EtQK3bT8stVYNvSAsuIrlp6SAuYmxvcq9pafm9LQp0z-jJgwET-xhh5ErQFpD3yN__NuI_75695rpg_dIbtUqH6Tn9tYk8ePKYolQ-5SFcEtbVdLaHJHZ1SEURt0YsHM3j5jhGrD9hAwBQZ44DHbTa_NMsSYMNpnZCj-FISSD87Gy1GAcVsRFouCAodRvWOYRuf44NkiUL_idRfOyUL92QaYImQ_SEqWuYgb9skiEQZr38JTnzGv53UxX4d9raXH5XgZjW9AyMeOuYDoqJN1mo_GMglCm4NSdmvpPp4CEk-ENwK9KdOfpA3yaZcwIYGRmXhmhi37JUTcx3KELStXsR6IEWEWIx4HO5Hs2wgDocNwt8R1_tEUUPvlLs5u9V9_B-bgtCcePn2ZhUo2cx-6jfBogzCnh-dnCtPUPHblnISH0crxDRZrhtrNbR2k3Z7GfeMs-f3rzzq_lShYs=w1184-h789-no

GR5GWyNuXNZqFGfrylbVj5siZu-_QdPVs1Sj5s2Srfj-WEU01wK20LfUk01L_qcoVaUJdADxXJIm88Whuj4yXfx-Tu_tJiCBFo4aoeVQwUDmXjZ1B34vp5mQVuQ6ZgF4rqwsA3dlouCKRz5UxN2UV6kSFrf6eOxT9mamAxlgoG6zS0uezhbENvIshj30AncqNoM0qzzA4ndoj3M6RZSVpwNuOGLJDYY32QkH4gfesb76pa12-VwXWTcmobGUOOKkvOQbe90RRyq5oA2EAAlEpYjgLgwyLwCo15Qwif7FFir5BHxwlrVq7f7NvPtGAmSorvCj85HAoe9sIjcWS8UOI9ZEG4p4_BHzOO0gI4Dq268EZ6uut17cu315gGso-684wKVYShmcd2_voA_8JBD-I799Ipbv1UuplzeQkNnC88Jc9RifBig2SNnupogo6QsYRn3VM1Fi92WGWS5bBY_ybkGGQ7jdhmjjltJF-bziaBSfj_Cjgo5y6mVYPdibkqqymszQztiekZM_GLebAAsbceCzJ3PrXgXW1wKy2gqaERlvJLiSu47gR42wstDndzn_lU29ZHUnIWHz9EvfpJEK5X_-qbKZNqiDglrC1J2offrOSYjMQRnroSPkjfvSDO7y90H1VTqoUSnogtxlxKvyeCEBgDIJeraUE9aposSUmWPqGEPtesQOJrQ=w835-h789-no

Aaannndd goslings being adorable:

Hi Kayla. I got a trio of American buff this past spring. There was a sharp learning curve for me, especially with all the poop they can make. I cleaned my brooder daily, and they pooped all over my lawn in a movable pen.

Mine ran from me and grew like weeds. I had to make a bigger pen for them weekly. I picked and snipped grass daily. They were like piranha when I put the grass down. It helped to make them a bit more friendly too. They were messy kids.

A few times throughout my journey I wasn't sure if I was cut out for geese. I had times I loved them and times I didn't know what to do with mine.

Eventually mine grafted themselves on my goats and stuck with them. Mine go in the big shed and find a place to sleep amongst my chickens, goats, donkeys, and muscovy.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much they graze the pasture this next year. Mine also eat an All Flock ration and some corn. I raised them on Purina flock raiser.

I'm getting 4 pilgrims this next May. I'm gonna try a male as my first one I ordered didn't survive shipping, which probably was a blessing in disguise.

My geese come running, flapping and honking when they see me. They are funny critters. I have come to love them. They are simple to keep, easy to please, and they make me smile daily.

The Tufted Romans have officially stolen my heart. Thank you so much for sharing. :love :love :love

Haha, no problem! I always love to share pictures of my birds :p

Oh, this is unrelated, but I saw you just got a betta :) If you need any care tips, I'd be more than happy to help - they're harder to take care of than you'd think. For instance, they need much larger tanks than the pet store would have you believe, they should really have supplemental heating, etc. I used to keep several. I only have one now, an opal male.

Haha, no problem! I always love to share pictures of my birds :p

Oh, this is unrelated, but I saw you just got a betta :) If you need any care tips, I'd be more than happy to help - they're harder to take care of than you'd think. For instance, they need much larger tanks than the pet store would have you believe, they should really have supplemental heating, etc. I used to keep several. I only have one now, an opal male.
I will take absolutely any help I can get :bow

I have 1 guppy living alone in a 10 gallon tank. My new Betta is in a 1/2 gallon until the quarantine period is up then he’ll be in the 10 gallon with my guppy. What do you feed your Betta? I feed mine pellets for Bettas but I don’t think he likes them all that much. He’s also not very active with his swimming. I’m aware the 1/2 gallon is very small for a fish... but it won’t be for much longer. Could the tank be causing him to not swim as much?
Here are some pictures, just for fun. No idea what color he is either :lol:
0CF5250F-07F3-4BAB-89A2-667806BB5C06.jpeg
B9F672A8-F3A7-4E24-9CB7-5C64A5DF4A3A.jpeg

I will take absolutely any help I can get :bow

I have 1 guppy living alone in a 10 gallon tank. My new Betta is in a 1/2 gallon until the quarantine period is up then he’ll be in the 10 gallon with my guppy. What do you feed your Betta? I feed mine pellets for Bettas but I don’t think he likes them all that much. He’s also not very active with his swimming. I’m aware the 1/2 gallon is very small for a fish... but it won’t be for much longer. Could the tank be causing him to not swim as much?
Here are some pictures, just for fun. No idea what color he is either :lol: View attachment 1984184View attachment 1984186

He's pretty!

I feed mine the pellets :) I feed the Hikari Bio Gold pellets, as they're considered to be one of the best pellets. Bloodworms for a treat. Brine shrimp, too. In the wild, they are pretty much carnivorous, eating any little creature small enough to get in their mouths, lol. So they need high protein diets.

Heat is very important. Their tanks should be kept between 78 and 80 F. Unless the room you keep them in is very warm, this means you need a tank heater.

You also want to make sure to condition their water. Hard water or chlorinated water is probably the biggest killer of fish. You can buy a tap water conditioner and add it to the tank water as directed to remove chlorine and other things that can hurt them.

Finally, tank size. A five gallon tank is a good size for a betta. The little tanks they sell to keep them in are, as you know, not a good option. 2.5 should be the absolute bare minimum. Ten gallon like you have is a good option, too.

And about letting him live with your guppy - a male betta with a male guppy can be a bad idea, since male guppies can have bright colors and flowing tails, which can easily trigger the aggression of a male betta. Females, though, have duller colors, and it might work out (I'm not sure what gender your guppy is). It's also a good idea to do more than one guppy, so the betta can't focus in on just one, in case the aggression is triggered. Here's a more in-depth article about it.

Last edited:
He's pretty!

I feed mine the pellets :) I feed the Hikari Bio Gold pellets, as they're considered to be one of the best pellets. Bloodworms for a treat. Brine shrimp, too. In the wild, they are pretty much carnivorous, eating any little small creature big enough to get in their mouths, lol. So they need high protein diets.

Heat is very important. Their tanks should be kept between 78 and 80 F. Unless the room you keep them in is very warm, this means you need a tank heater.

You also want to make sure to condition their water. Hard water or chlorinated water is probably the biggest killer of fish. You can buy a tap water conditioner and add it to the tank water as directed to remove chlorine and other things that can hurt them.

Finally, tank size. A five gallon tank is a good size for a betta. The little tanks they sell to keep them in are, as you know, not a good option. 2.5 should be the absolute bare minimum. Ten gallon like you have is a good option, too.

And about letting him live with your guppy - a male betta with a male guppy can be a bad idea, since male guppies can have bright colors and flowing tails, which can easily trigger the aggression of a male betta. Females, though, have duller colors, and it might work out (I'm not sure what gender your guppy is). It's also a good idea to do more than one guppy, so the betta can't focus in on just one, in case the aggression is triggered. Here's a more in-depth article about it.
Thank you!

My guppy is a male? I think? I dunno. But here he is. Either he’s a dull boy or a normal female :lol:
7A246DF6-11C8-4B00-B84F-A53C55EB534B.jpeg

My tank is usually around 74F.

I know he’s ready to be out of the tiny 1/2 gallon. :th

My guppy is a male? I think? I dunno. But here he is. Either he’s a dull boy or a normal female :lol:
7a246df6-11c8-4b00-b84f-a53c55eb534b-jpeg.1984204

I think maybe female? Guppies are not my forte, lol! :p

My tank is usually around 74F.

I would get an aquarium heater then, and go for 78F - that's in the good range for both bettas and guppies :)

I know he’s ready to be out of the tiny 1/2 gallon. :th

Any chance you could pick up one of those cheap critter keeper cages for a temporary home? The Large size is three gallons, I think, which would be at least above the 2.5 gallon minimum.

Back
Top Bottom