Questions about hatching eggs.

Artichoke Lover

Free Ranging
Jul 27, 2020
Southeast US
We’ve had chickens for about a year now and my dad has decided that he wants to order some quail eggs to hatch out in the spring. I’m a little hesitant about the whole idea though. Is it any different than incubating chicken eggs? Do I need a different incubator for quail. Can the babies eat chick starter? How much space per chick? Basically we have zero clue what we’re doing here.

We’ve had chickens for about a year now and my dad has decided that he wants to order some quail eggs to hatch out in the spring. I’m a little hesitant about the whole idea though. Is it any different than incubating chicken eggs? Do I need a different incubator for quail. Can the babies eat chick starter? How much space per chick? Basically we have zero clue what we’re doing here.
What incubator do you have? Some do better with quail than othets.
What type of quail were you thinking
They need powdered food at around 30% for the first 5/6 weeks before they can go lower

What incubator do you have? Some do better with quail than othets.
What type of quail were you thinking
They need powdered food at around 30% for the first 5/6 weeks before they can go lower
I wish I knew what incubator we would be using ours isn’t big enough . So if we do order quail eggs we would be borrowing a friends. I think it may be a fully automated 1 if that makes a difference.
If I’m being honest part of my biggest problem is that my dad is a do everything at the last possible second kind of guy that’s part of my hesitation here. I wouldn’t be remotely surprised if he wants to pick up the brooder on the way back from getting the eggs.
:barnie

I'm an amateurs and that's a really old incubator I borrowed from a friend that hatch's all kinds of eggs. I did everything wrong. Eggs turned from outside by hand, only counts temperature, very hot summer, some times the temperature rised up to 39C inside the incubator and I had to open it for a minute, the power went of for 12 h and I still hatche
IMG_20201218_152151.jpg
d 7 quails out of 11 eggs. With this incubator when you stop turning the eggs you take out the dividends and put one of them to close the gap so the chicks won't fall in the water. good luck 🤞

Back
Top Bottom