Questions about Light Brahma Chicks

KinderKorner

Songster
10 Years
Mar 8, 2009
Southern Illinois
Alright. At first chickens were jsut for fun. I got a few from a local feed store. Then I decided I wanted to breed Brahmas. Long story short I am now starting to breed like 8 different types.
lol.png

Anyway, all Brahma chicks I've purchased or hatched have always been black and yellow. Big fluffy cute little chicks.

My adults have always had a lot of extra messy black spots on them. And after several generations I am trying to breed it out.

But as I looked around at Brahma Chick pictures, lots I have seen the chicks are completely yellow. I figured mine just aren't great quailty, and have too much black.

Oh well. After a few more generations hopefully they will be better.

So does having black and yellow chicks mean yours are low quailty. I would really like to improve my birds. Also if I continue to cull and keep only the whitest birds, after a few more generations will mine be more clean looking?

Last edited:
Mine were like you say, dark and yellow spots, and really fluffy. I ordered mine through ideal hatchery. I am also interested as I have seen the same pics of light colored chicks with no colored spots that were light brahmas

vortec

Yeah. It makes sense to me for them to have black as chicks. As they have black hackles and tails. So I can't imagine having yellow chicks turn that much black. I just don't know.

Perhaps it just depends on the line. But I must say. My black and yellow fluffy chicks have the sweetest faces, and are like 10 times cuter than the all yellow skinnier chicks. lol

Back
Top Bottom