questions about longtails

amazondoc

Cracked Egghead
12 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Lebanon, TN
Okay all you wise folks --

My father wanted to get a nice present for the son of a friend of his. Said son is gaga over chickens, and already has his own flock. So I agreed to order some chicks for him, since I'm getting an order from Ideal in the spring anyway.

We knew that he liked longtailed breeds, so I put both gold phoenix and red-shouldered yokohamas on my order.

The son has decided that he wants the gold phoenix. Fine with me.

Here come the questions:

These really are very handsome birds, with or without the super-long tail feathers. I can change my order to remove the yokohamas that the son doesn't want.....but should I?? I could also change my order to get a few extra phoenix instead, and keep some.....but should I??

How aggressive are the roos of these breeds? What other things should I consider while I figure out whether to change the order or not?? I am NOT going to do all the special lighting and heating and so on to get the super tails, but that's okay with me. I just need more info to decide how silly it would be for me to keep any of these for myself. Thanks for any input!

My son ordered a pair of Silver Phoenix this last spring. The hen she is the sweetest thing, but the rooster is BAAAAAD. My son cannot get in his lot without the rooster trying to flog him. So my husband has started taking care of them and the rooster still goes after him. The rooster we have is a little on the honery side,sooo,....
idunno.gif

I am going to say it, if you want Phoenix and are dead set on getting them from a hatchery, but them from Cackle.
If you want longtails and are dead set on getting them from Ideal, go with the Yokohamas.

But....
If you want top notch birds, get them from someone that breeds them.
It will be worth it in the long run.

And don't worry about the heat and light. Good Phoenixes should grow really long feathers without all that. I only know of one person who does that anyways, and it is basically only to determine which birds have the non-molting gene, which very few if any of the hatchery birds will have.

I have some red phoenixes and they are really easy to handle, really tame and gentle.
Good luck!

I loved my Phoenix roo, but he was CRAFTY. He would seriously stalk someone...sneak up behind them, stop, look around innocently if the person took a peek at him, and then sneak closer until he was in range for the FLOG ATTACK.

He was nice to me, because if he got anywhere near me, I'd pick him up, carry him around, and play with his wattles and comb for about a half hour (he didn't like it much).

Phoenix just aren't very friendly. It's their nature. They certainly are pretty birds, though.

Here are a few pics of Antonius "Antonio" Horribilis:

KEY70001_11.jpg

KEY70002_11.jpg

KEY70006_8.jpg

10488_001.jpg

This is my sons roo "Yokohoma" (funny name for a Phoenix) I call him Romeo. His is very crafty himself,...love his heart.

He is only about 8 or 9 months old and he has been handled and he just has a streak about him, well its the kind of bird they are I guess.
I myself like my Partridge Rock roo,...he is much calmer.

Last edited:
Quote:
I sympathize with your sentiments completely. However, the story is a little more complicated than I explained above.

I started out looking for breeders' Phoenix. Then Dad decided that he didn't want to spend enough on this present to pay for really good birds, or for shipping. OTOH, I was already ordering birds from Ideal -- mostly brabanters, which are nearly impossible to find elsewhere as day olds, and most breeders got their stock from Ideal anyway. So, since I was already ordering Ideal birds, and since Ideal had a wide variety of longtails, I told him I'd add some to my order. The person receiving them is developmentally delayed, and he won't recognize the difference in quality in any case. He just likes pretty birds with long tails.

Since I was ordering some for him, I put a couple extra on the order in case some died. And that got me to thinking about whether I wanted to keep any. And so on. I wouldn't buy any breeders' birds for myself, since I'm already involved with enough other breeds. But this whole present thing has just sort of snowballed, so that's why I am asking the questions.

Clear as mud yet?
lol.png

And to the folks who described their roos so far -- thanks for the input! I do doberman rescue, so I live with a herd of large dominant dogs every day. I am fully capable of dealing with dominant roos -- BUT I've got enough to worry about already that I really don't see any reason to! Your input is just the sort of thing I need to hear, thanks!

hEY I used to have a phoenix pair and they were the most sweetest things I had ever had. I got mine from a breeder from texas and they had VERY long tails. I would say keep the phoenixs. the ones I had were super sweet!!!!!!!! wish I had some more of those beauties!!!!!!!
smile.png
big_smile.png
smile.png
big_smile.png
wink.png

I have both breeds. They have been a project of mine for years.
I have to heat mine in winter -20 is too cold for any chicken in my opinion. My males are AWESOME! However I tend not to handle them until they have had a chance to establish themselves in the pecking order.
At about 6 months I can then evaluate if the bird is a lesser or a higher in the flock. Higher ups get definately more handling from the get go. I too grew up with show dogs and rescues and follow your instinct. Not every bird is created equal. There temperments are just as much man made as environment made.
I have birds that prefer to be carried close like a cat and others that prefer to be asked to perch on an arm. All breeding males are left alone for the most part while hens are in the pens. If we need to handle them we handle the males first then the females so as not insite bad behavior from a protective male. I mean that is their job.
During their time in the grow pens all males are handled to and from the exercise yards DAILY weather permitting. In winter we often bring them in with us for some TV time, tail baths, and time to just walk around and be a bird preening etc. Yes we have space for them. No i'm not wierd.
The phoenix can be addictive, and wether you choose to house them or range them they are very nice birds.
Yokohamas... well one of males is known as Buddy. From a lil chick he has been inquisitive, some what friendly. I've purchased adult breeders and never been offered a spur. The hens are rather pour layers IMO , but they are still on my list of favorites breeds. They do molt so if you have fall shows you will need supplimental lighting to keep them in feather, summer shows and late spring are best for these birds.

Back
Top Bottom