Questions about Mearns quail

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
I’m really interested in raising a pair of mearns quail, and I’m wondering if I would need to bring them inside for the winter. I read that they are quite sedentary in the winter and I’m assuming they can’t survive 10 degrees f and below based on their natural habitat. Would they be ok inside in about 6 sq ft during the winter, and back out to about 20 sq ft in the spring, summer, fall? They seem to be much smaller than Coturnix, and I have 2 blind cots in about 6 sq ft and they seem very happy.

I’ve watched videos of their calls, and I’m wondering if they’re much louder than cots, and the frequency. The area in the house we have our blind cots is far enough from bedrooms that they don’t bother anyone if the male crows.

Had to look them up, they're so pretty! And so expensive
I’ve seen some eggs advertised, ranging about $10-50 per egg. I want one pair so I would probably order about 6 eggs and hope for the best. They’re so fat and cute! There are many places that sell adult pairs, but I don’t bring new birds into my property since I don’t have enough property to quarantine them effectively.

I’ve seen some eggs advertised, ranging about $10-50 per egg. I want one pair so I would probably order about 6 eggs and hope for the best. They’re so fat and cute! There are many places that sell adult pairs, but I don’t bring new birds into my property since I don’t have enough property to quarantine them effectively.
I'll have to see what I'd have to do to get a permit when I move. There are a lot of birds I'm wanting (and a capybara but that's a bit different) that apparently need a permit

Back
Top Bottom