Questions about Muscovies

We have raised both Muscovy ducks (for three years) and other varieties, runners, buffs, and Cayuga's. This past year we increased our Muscovy hens from three to five and have hatched well over 150 ducklings, even after losing hatches to late snows. We raised out over 100 ourselves for meat purposes. We process the drakes at 9-12 pounds and hens 5-7 pounds. We skin and completely de-bone and average well over 2 pounds meat per duck. We absolutely love Muscovy duck meat, it tastes like a fine beef. You will need to add oil to the pan to fry or cook because they are extremely lean. We use it for everything we would use beef for.
As for the hens flying, just clip the ends of their wing feathers. As long as you don't cut to far toward the wing meat (if you get to deep, the will start to bleed) it is not painful to them. It is the same principle as cutting your finger nails.
To keep them from scratching as much (they will get you no matter what) pick them up at the base of their wings and hold them as if they were flying. The wing joint is extremely strong, if you get hit by a big drake wing, you'll understand. Don't pick them up by their legs as you can easily displace their hip joint as they are weak there.

Wow I didnt know that they tasted like beef. We have been just using the eggs. I had wondered what the meat was like. We don't have enough for meat yet but hoping they will hatch some this spring so we will have more babies and maybe we can try some in the fall.

This is a GREAT thread! Very informative! I have been toying with the idea of getting just 2-3 hens for eggs to use when I bake. I was thinking of partitioning off an area of my fenced in yard so I could lock them up when I let the dogs out but they could have teh whole yard (about an acre) during the day. I would lock them in a "duck house" at night. The fence is solid box wire so they couldn't get though it (I have a pomeranian that could go right though split rail without it). So if I kept their wings clipped would they stay in? The fence is 4ft high.

As for colors I am in love with the ripples, chocolates, lavenders! Maybe I will get ducklings to raise and then eat the boys. Although who am I kidding I will prob keep one and then chicken..I mean DUCK math will kick in!

Quote:
Yes, they are good about staying put, esp. after clipping their wings. Just be careful, it has been said that "Muscovy's feel their purpose in life is to populate the world."

Last edited:
They are incredibly personable and ours let me pick them up. My girls will fly but usually only from one side of the yard to the other and its usually when I first let them otu in the mornign or when its time for evening feeding and lock up. I do have one hen who likes to get up on the roof of the house (it is a one storey house) and watch everything but she will come down when I call her. My boys dont fly except maybe a couple of feet high and 20 yards.

Back
Top Bottom