questions about neoprene duck shoes

not too too bad.........2 of the four questions have been partially--partially answered.
does water get in them in any way? they are surely not stiff like wood, but they are probably not flexible, like a piece of denim or canvas either right? owners?.............

Neoprene is a water proof material, but the shoes are not water tight and are NOT meant to be worn when ducks are swimming. They are designed to prevent solids like poop and dirt from getting on the feet of the ducks and will not stop water from swimming or deep puddles.

The basic shoe is closed-toe for the three front toes and open toe for the back toe where standing water could enter. If your duck requires protection for the back toe also, that is an available option.

The neoprene is only 2mm thick so it holds it shape, but easily bends with little resistance.

As others already mentioned, the shoes were designed to keep their feet clean so they will heal quicker. As you can imagine, open wounds heal much faster when they aren't smeared with duck poop... They were originally designed by Nettie when one of our ducks, Ming Mei, had a second bout of bumblefoot (our vet explained that once they get it, it's easy to get it again). She wore shoes daily while her feet healed and only took them off for her daily bath (she is an indoor duck so she only has access to deep water when we let her in the tub).

beautiful joe, i was hoping one of you would chime in. thanks alot. i'm amazed that it is only 2mm thick. those are really nice looking!
oh yes, so no one apparently has one of their ducks wearing them when in good health or swimming, like you said. anyone? wearing em full time as a precautionary measure..............

Last edited:
8 of my ducks wore them 24/7 while being treated for Bumblefoot. I put them back on my older male yesterday, as his one foot started bleeding and has a tender scab. Mine wear them while they swim, as I cannot keep them out of their pools. They are outdoor ducks.
wink.png

As far as I know, we are the only ones making shoes for poultry. We are also in the process of applying for (and paying for) our patent. Meaning if anyone else tries to make shoes, they will have to stop. We offer good prices, and even bulk discounts. We don't currently have up the page about shoes on our website (we're still working on it, but anyone with questions feel free to pm me!). We make everything by hand, with the assistance of sewing machines. All the patterns were created through trial and error originally to help my duck ming mei with her bumblefoot.

Just to clear up confusion, here is what the shoes help (other than being stylish, lol)

-Help keep the foot clean by keeping out as much moisture, poop, and dirt as possible.
-Help keep bandages and medicines on a foot for longer.
-Provides some extra cushioning for healing feet.
-Protects feet from rough surfaces like concrete, hot asphalt, rocky areas, etc (for both ducks who live outside, or for those who takes their ducks for walks in urban areas)
-Protects one's skin from scratches from ducks feet during exams or cuddling time.
-Protects female ducks from the nails of males during breeding time (as long as outdoor ducks do not have access to water).

The shoes are flexible like the material of a wetsuit. It can be bent completely on itself, but it does have stability to it. It's 2mm thick of closed cell foam.

Ducks who have outside access to water should not wear shoes until they are separated from the water source while wearing shoes. The shoes are just as good at keeping water out as they are keeping water/medicines in. If the shoe becomes submerged, water will get in through the top of the ankle cuff or around the foot strap and can become trapped inside of the shoe. The neoprene material that shoes are made out of is closed cell, meaning water can not going through the material, but can seep through seams if submerged. The shoes keep out the vast majority of moisture from wet ground. We can put a layer of waterproofer on the seams to help, but not all water will be kept out if the duck goes into a water source. They are not (and can not be) 100% waterproof. They have to have an opening in order to get the shoe on the duck's foot.

Ducks can wear shoes for most of the day, but should take about an hour break to bathe without shoes on. Once done bathing, clean shoes can be placed right back on a duck. SHoes can be washed/dried in a machine, or they can hand washed/air dried. It's best to wash them in a separate load, or with jeans (or other stiff fabrics).

Hopefully that clears up any confusion. If any one has questions about duck shoes, please feel free to pm me.

thanks nettie: good luck with that patent. you have truly set a high standard for duckie footwear. the things i make don't compare!
people can still make shoes for sure, but they just shouldn't make Nettieshoes when they're not, and try to pass them off/sell them to others as Nettieshoes. i know of someone who has made duck shoes out of neoprene, some modify socks, some use baby booties. anyone is free to do such and continue to do such. there must be many tools available for the same or similar jobs.........

Last edited:
Quote:
indeed fattie. whatever kind of duck shoe one makes or chooses, it would be quiet hard to keep the outdoor ducks out of the swimmin hole with them on. i have usually kept my shoed birds in isolation cages for the whole time, then took the shoes off once they were let out. but i need to leave them on longer. good to have a whole bunch so you can keep clean ones ready on hand to replace the gross ones.........

So uh.... XD where can I actually get a pair for my duck.... or does no one really make them anymore? Been looking online for more than a few days now. Just seems like everyones wrapped up in this or that *shrugs* I just know meh duck needs em for her feet and I need to either find someone selling them, or some kind of basic way to make ones that one fall apart. Any advice is appreciated.

Yes, I'd also like to know about these wonderful duckie shoes. I told my fiance about them and he kind of loves the idea. When our duck was smaller she would go for walks with him and she would have to turn around because the road got too hot for her poor little feet.
How would I be able to get a pair and how much would I be looking at for this? And eventually her own diaper harness too, hehe.

Back
Top Bottom