Questions About Picking Up Chicks At The Post Office.

In my experience they take good care of them. Mine were kept in the office (warm in winter, cooler in summer). They do their best to deliver them alive. There odd always risk, things can go wrong, but I doubt they would intentionally harm them.
I'm sure if they require ID, your mom will be fine. Mine didn't. They assume if you come in and tell them your name and you are picking up chicks, they're yours. As I said, I'm in a small town.
I think the post office has been handling animals since the days before cars, trucks, and planes, when the mail moved by rail and was the most efficient way to transport almost anything.
I've also has half a boat motor shipped by mail, as well as numerous other unusual items. Large, Bulky, heavy, it is amazing what they are equipped to handle.
I know it is scary, but odds are they will be fine. The hot weather is the biggest worry, but chicks are a lot tougher and adaptable than they look!
Good luck and let us know how they are doing!

Oh Okay :) Thanks! But Know I Have Another Problem! my Parents Are Making Me Leave Them Outside! And It 70-90 Degrees But It's Mostly Always At 70-89 Degrees. I'm Receiving 15 Silkied Would They Be Alright?! My Parents Won't Let Me Keep Them Inside Well At First They Said It's Okay But Now They Change Their Mind! UGHH! Can They Stand That Weather?

Oh Okay :) Thanks! But Know I Have Another Problem! my Parents Are Making Me Leave Them Outside! And It 70-90 Degrees But It's Mostly Always At 70-89 Degrees. I'm Receiving 15 Silkied Would They Be Alright?! My Parents Won't Let Me Keep Them Inside Well At First They Said It's Okay But Now They Change Their Mind! UGHH! Can They Stand That Weather?

They really need more warmth than that for a few weeks. Rule of thumb, 95 first week, 5 degrees less each week. See if you can rig a light bulb in their brooder to keep the temperature near that. Judy make sure they have space to move away from it. They will find their comfort zone and move closer to warm up and further away to cool down.
Lots of threads in here to explain it.

They really need more warmth than that for a few weeks. Rule of thumb, 95 first week, 5 degrees less each week. See if you can rig a light bulb in their brooder to keep the temperature near that. Judy make sure they have space to move away from it. They will find their comfort zone and move closer to warm up and further away to cool down.
Lots of threads in here to explain it.

Yes But My Heat Lamp is Broken! It Keeps Burning The Light Bulbs This Just started Happening A Bit Ago Now I Can Only Count On The Weather. );

I'm by far not an experienced chicken raiser but you will definitely need a heat lamp. You can get them at lowes or home depot for cheap. Also, your brooder will have to be very secure else predators will certainly get them.

Since you have made the commitment of purchasing them you will need to follow through with te details or they won't make it. We are brooding ours inside for the time being and minus some cheeping they have not been bad at all.

Good luck!

Oh Okay, Thanks. :) Also Do They Call You Immediately? Or Only If You Ask For Them To Call When They Get Them? Also Would They Take More Than One Day To Call?
I think all of this is dependent on where you live, and the post office that they are shipped to..........and the hatchery that they come from.
The post office SHOULD call you as soon as they arrive, the post office we use will let us in WAY before business hours and does not require ID. However they are supposed to check your ID, just like any package that you need to go in to pick up. Try to go get them as soon as possible, for many reasons............ they need to be let out of their tiny box and given water, they are usually pretty noisy and I am sure they get annoying to the postal workers, SOMETIMES curious postal workers will stick their fingers into the box or even try to take one out (even though they shouldn't!). Depending on what hatchery they are coming from, they might have been hatched up to 4 days prior to the day you receive them. Get them quickly and get them water!!!

I think all of this is dependent on where you live, and the post office that they are shipped to..........and the hatchery that they come from.
The post office SHOULD call you as soon as they arrive, the post office we use will let us in WAY before business hours and does not require ID. However they are supposed to check your ID, just like any package that you need to go in to pick up. Try to go get them as soon as possible, for many reasons............ they need to be let out of their tiny box and given water, they are usually pretty noisy and I am sure they get annoying to the postal workers, SOMETIMES curious postal workers will stick their fingers into the box or even try to take one out (even though they shouldn't!). Depending on what hatchery they are coming from, they might have been hatched up to 4 days prior to the day you receive them. Get them quickly and get them water!!!

Oh Okay What Would Be The Lowest Temperature For The Chicks To Handle?

I'm by far not an experienced chicken raiser but you will definitely need a heat lamp. You can get them at lowes or home depot for cheap. Also, your brooder will have to be very secure else predators will certainly get them.
Since you have made the commitment of purchasing them you will need to follow through with te details or they won't make it. We are brooding ours inside for the time being and minus some cheeping they have not been bad at all.
Good luck!

Would You Happen To Know How Much They Cost? Also How Much Would The Light Bulb Cost? Don't I Need A 250 Watt Bulb?

Back
Top Bottom