Questions about raising chicks with mama hen

Calbobal

Songster
Jun 4, 2018
i have some questions. I’ve had a Brahma go broody on me. I’ve tried to break her for over a week without any success. So, I’m thinking about giving in and letting her hatch out some fertilized eggs (I do not have a rooster and I can’t per landlord).

However, I would like her to raise the chicks. I do not want to separate them from her upon hatching. But I have some questions regarding this.
I have a pretty big coop and 8 hens. The coop has access to a large penned in area, and my backyard which is also pretty large.
I’m thinking of putting a dog crate in the coop, having her hatch out and raise in the crate in the coop. I figure I’d keep it closed for a good few days to let her teach them what they needs to know about eating and drinking without disruption. Then I’m thinking I’ll open the door of the crate after that and allow her to roam if she pleases with her babies.
It’s summer here, so cold weather is not a worry of mine at all. I’m just worried about integration. I know some hens can be aggressive towards chicks, but that usually mama hen puts them in their place.
I’ll make it clear I do not want to separate mama and babies from the flock where they cannot be seen.

So those of you who have had mama raise their babies....how did you do it and what worked best?

I keep my broody in an area that the flock can see her but not touch (her, the nest or those eggs) while she is setting. This area has its own run/food/water for her while she is penned up. Once the chicks hatch I open the door and she will take them into the flock at 2-3 days old. She will most often return to this nest at night for a while. She will have them in the coop and on the roost at about 4 weeks old, and shortly after that tell them they are birds go scratch!

What did you do to break her?
Are you only going to let her set because you couldn't break her?

Sounds like a pretty good plan.
Much the same as RWise and I do it.
I'm assuming you will get her some fresh fertile eggs?
Once I'm sure I have a broody, and want to let her hatch, I put her in her enclosure with some fake eggs in the nest and wait for her to settle back down(they often do not like to be moved) before giving fresh fertile eggs.

pretty big coop
How big in feet by feet?
You have room to keep so many more birds....and have a plan for the half of the chicks that will be males?

I’m thinking of putting a dog crate in the coop, having her hatch out and raise in the crate in the coop.
Make sure the crate is big enough for her to get up and stretch her legs a bit and poop...about 4sqft excluding the space needed for nest, feeder, waterer.

20180613_141100-1.jpg

Nothing cooler then a hen with a string of chicks.
I use broody hens as much as I can. I like your plan. Just make sure the chicks can't squeeze out of the crate anywhere. They are great at getting everywhere they shouldn't which sometimes means places momma can't. Like through fences. It could be bad if they escape the crate those first couple days.
Once there all loose shouldn't matter much. I have to much area to chick proof so they do go through fences but they'll come back when momma calls them.
Watch for hidden dangers like anything they could drown in. Chicks are also expert and finding everything that is grave danger.
I like RWise method with locking them separate when brooding but it hardly ever works out that way for me.
I just let mine brood where they want and it gets to be a pain with other hens wanting to lay in their nests so I think you're on track to avoid those issues.
Some hens do well with running off others when they have chicks but some not so much. I moved away from using silkies because they do lousy at keeping their chicks safe.
I'm using marans and orpingtons mostly now and they have no problem keeping others from bothering chicks. They usually stay apart from the flock but I have plenty of room for that. I might do things differently if they were in close quarters. Sounds like yours will have enough room.
Things can happen to broody babies but things happen.
They hatch better then me but I raise chicks better then them so it evens out. A bunch of chicks running around with their mom sure makes them look happier then a bunch in a box though so go for it.

I rather like leaving my broody hen with the flock. But I do have problems with other birds laying in her nest, or her returning to the wrong nest. You have to check frequently. One of the reasons I like leaving her with the flock, is that every day she goes out, is crabbier than a bear. She eats, takes a dust bath, growls at every thing, puffs up and stomps around. Quickly the flock learns to give her quite a bit of space. She is way up on the pecking order.

Then when she comes out with chicks, they leave her and the chicks alone.
Mrs K

What did you do to break her?
Are you only going to let her set because you couldn't break her?

Sounds like a pretty good plan.
Much the same as RWise and I do it.
I'm assuming you will get her some fresh fertile eggs?
Once I'm sure I have a broody, and want to let her hatch, I put her in her enclosure with some fake eggs in the nest and wait for her to settle back down(they often do not like to be moved) before giving fresh fertile eggs.

How big in feet by feet?
You have room to keep so many more birds....and have a plan for the half of the chicks that will be males?

Make sure the crate is big enough for her to get up and stretch her legs a bit and poop...about 4sqft excluding the space needed for nest, feeder, waterer.

Hi! Sorry I’ve had school and forgot I posted this lol. So to answer a few questions - my coop is 10ft in length on either side and 7ft in width. It’s a walk in, and has an upper level. We got them fresh fertile eggs today. Notice I said them, because now I have 2 broodies.
I just decided to let them go with it.
Crate is big enough. But now I need another . Chicks won’t be able to squeeze through. I can grab photos later!

A nursery pen kept inside the run is the best option and this nursery pen should ideally allow the chicks to move freely between your flock and their mother. that way the peeps can hustle back home if they feel threatened. Another benefit is that when the hen kicks her babies out into the cold & cruel world, the fledged chicks will be fully fledged members of your flock without the need for a period of integration.

Edited to read: two brooding hens in so small an area is IMHO asking for trouble if not down right tragedy.

One hen can optimally hatch about 15 eggs of the same size as she lays.

Last edited:
Yes, pics please.

I am the worst. I’ve been finishing up school and for some reason have not gotten alerts on my email. So here we go. Please ignore the poop - I haven’t cleaned yet today.
Also there’s a crate and stuff because of my broodies, I tried having a second crate for my other broody but she does not want to be moved....at all. And the showboexes are temporary nesting boxes for my others who are so mad right now LOL
143CF47C-60BB-433E-9A9F-F8DEED911C0E.jpeg
0ED676DD-85D2-415B-973F-ED9760A95C92.jpeg
2223DF5E-078E-4EAC-819B-B12720BEDF3B.jpeg
2A0C079A-FB7D-47B6-AD0C-57ED532BB6FB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom