Raising chickens...in the city...on the roof???

sharptooth

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2023
Hi BYC!

I’ve been a lurker here for far too long and thought I’d finally make an account and join in on the chicken chatter 👋

Wondering if anyone has experience raising chickens without a backyard that they can share?

TLDR: my mom has a small flock of 4 silkies that, for a lack of a better way of saying it, she basically no longer wants.
I on the other hand, have fallen massively in love with these poofballs and have basically taken on their care 24/7 for the past year that I’ve been temporarily living with them. My parents are in the suburbs, with a large backyard.

I will be moving back to the city soon, and would love to take them with me (I fear they will be neglected otherwise…)
However, my new place has no outdoor area, except for a very large rooftop patio. It is basically the size of a small backyard…just…higher up…without dirt and grass.

Is it possible at all to raise chickens somewhere like that?? Or would I just be decreasing their quality of life?

I recently stumbled upon The Smart Coop where they featured their AI enhanced coop on a New York balcony which totally got me scheming.

But BYC folks, please let me know if I am crazy to even consider this? Thanks in advance 🫶

(I attached a generic photo representative of the rooftop I'd have + screenshot of Smart Coop's video since I can't seem to attach a video)

Attachments

• rooftop.png
    rooftop.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 96
  • smartcoop.png
    smartcoop.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
Thanks everyone so far for your input! Duly noted on all of the pointers mentioned.

Thoughts on....free ranging on a rooftop? I'd hate for them to be locked up in a run all the time, but the possibility of falling off a rooftop is a real fear 😨

Thanks everyone so far for your input! Duly noted on all of the pointers mentioned.

Thoughts on....free ranging on a rooftop? I'd hate for them to be locked up in a run all the time, but the possibility of falling off a rooftop is a real fear 😨
I would absolutely not free range them. Rlfree range and silkies already don't mesh well, and on a roof top they'd be easy pickings for flying predators

I'm less concerned with aerial predators (I'll be in the heart of a dense city), than the chickens themselves falling off, but both are definitely a concern. But sounds like free ranging on a rooftop is a no go 😅

Maybe I'll just turn the whole roof into a huge run hahaha

I'm less concerned with aerial predators (I'll be in the heart of a dense city), than the chickens themselves falling off, but both are definitely a concern. But sounds like free ranging on a rooftop is a no go 😅

Maybe I'll just turn the whole roof into a huge run hahaha
Usually there are still raptors, even in cities. Lots of food sources there

Back
Top Bottom