Questions about raising Meal Worms

we're slowly getting beetles in each container. i noticed in the drawers that had no paper of any type on top, we saw no beetles. so, we've put a piece of torn brown paper bag on the top of each, and you can lift it up and see 1-2 dozen beetles (white, brown, and black) chillin'.

i think we may have lucked out with the "mixed size" order that we made; because, it looks like we're steadily seeing mealworms turn into pupae since like day two, a few more every day.... the different coloured beetles backs up this idea. so we might have nonstop beetles from the getgo!

:)

We gave some of our initial worms to our girls, too. We had the worms well before we got the girls so we used the worms as treats in an attempt to get them to come to us and begin to associate us with treats.
wink.png
We ordered 1000 worms so I think we're none the worse off.

I love the idea of raising mealworms to feed to my chickens I think I'm gonna try It I hope my wife don't freak out lol how many should I get to start out with

I love the idea of raising mealworms to feed to my chickens I think I'm gonna try It I hope my wife don't freak out lol how many should I get to start out with

I started with 3000 but I could have started with 1000 except I wanted to feed them to my chickens from day one. Most of mine have turned to pupae, then to beetles. I am waiting for babies to get big enough to see and feed to the chickens.

I have a few questions as a newbie with mealworms. I started with 3,000. I've fed a few hundred to the flock. I started them in oatmeal, and added wheat bran once I found a place to purchase it. I've had them 10 days and already have 2 beetles that I can see. I've added cucumber peels, baby carrots and apple slices. They devour them within an hour of adding food. I have several huge white ones too. Do these things add up to me having more mealies than I can deal with? They're in a 15 gallon tote, which is covered to keep out light. I keep them in the laundry room. We live in MO with plenty of humidity for sure! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

I have a few questions as a newbie with mealworms. I started with 3,000. I've fed a few hundred to the flock. I started them in oatmeal, and added wheat bran once I found a place to purchase it. I've had them 10 days and already have 2 beetles that I can see. I've added cucumber peels, baby carrots and apple slices. They devour them within an hour of adding food. I have several huge white ones too. Do these things add up to me having more mealies than I can deal with? They're in a 15 gallon tote, which is covered to keep out light. I keep them in the laundry room. We live in MO with plenty of humidity for sure! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

The first 10 days mine ate the potatoes and carrots voraciously, then they slowed down once their thirst was finally quenched. Be careful to not put too much veggies and fruit in because you can end up creating mold. A good idea is to put newspaper on top then the fruit and veggies on that. They love to hide under the paper and this keeps the moisture away from their bedding. The beetles will eat the bedding by the way.

Don't worry about having too many, just scoop some out for your chickens. I like to leave a couple of wads of newspaper on top. When the hide in it, it makes it easy to just pick up the paper and shake some mealies out on my bowl that I take to the chickens. Much easier than trying to scoop up individual worms.

I don't think covering them with a lid is a good idea...they do need fresh air so you don't end up with mold inside. That would spoil everything. Can you cut the center of the lid out and silicone window screen in its place? I don't even put a lid on mine. The newspaper on top gives them plenty of darkness, and I keep them in my pantry that rarely ever has a light on.

Back
Top Bottom