questions about selling eggs

Put a sign on the road.
I live on a private road with not many cars and I manage to sell about 20 eggs a day whenever I put them out.
It's just easier for people than to go to the store.

In CA, you have to have an egg handler's license if you sell or trade even a single egg. Luckily, it's not hard to get. All you have to do is fill out this form and send it in with a check.
https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/mpes/pdfs/EggHandlersRegistrationApplication.pdf

Facebook no longer allows egg sales, so I get most of mine through either nextdoor or craigslist. I sell my quail eggs for $7/dozen, but selling price really depends on where in CA that you are. I live in the SF Bay Area, also known as SuperExpensiveLand.

Um. No. I live in N.C.

NC has special rules for small operations selling eggs on the farm. I've got a printout somewhere but it's packed from a move.

If you do a search on selling eggs in NC you should be able to find the rules.

If you contact your local Ag. Extension they'll help you understand both the sales rules and the rules for claiming "Organic" status.

As for pricing, see what eggs equivalent to yours sell for both in the grocery store and at the Farmers' Market. As a small operation you CANNOT compete on price with commercial operations so you have to compete on quality and on the "small-farm, local, eggs-from-happy-hens-that-eat-grass-and-bugs" charm. Don't under-price your eggs!

If you over-price and find that you can't sell them you can always reduce your price or have a sale. But it's much harder to ever raise prices.

Back
Top Bottom