Questions about shipping chickens

Tiramisu

Got Mutts
15 Years
May 3, 2008
PA
I was told that I should get them tested for P/T, and also if I could get VS-9,3. I could ask the person for when I find someone to test them, but wanted to know what/if anyone on here shipped and got them tested, what they were tested for.

Also for box size, originally I was going to buy a single box for my 2 standards and use the chick box I got my bantams in, but I am pretty sure they are too big for it now. So could I get a bigger box that has the seperate stall things in it? My 2 hens are 2 years old, and the bantams are 3 months old -2silkies and 1 silkie mutt.

Do I need to call the post office ahead of time and ask if they can ship it? Do all post offices allow this type of shipment? I live about half an hour away from a nice sized airport, I just worry since we live in town they won't have any idea on the subject. I did get my chicks shipped to that PO though.

Any other info would be helpful too, thanks.

That is the form you get when you are certified NPIP. The form needs to be with the birds, I think on the outside. And, the testing is already done for P/T Pullorum Typhoid, which is NPIP, so you don't need them retested.

I would assume you could get the sectioned box, it might be more expensive though. You could get the swan box and just fill up each side.

Yes, you need to call the post office to make sure they accept live shipments. You may also want to call the recieving post office, because if they don't accept live shipments, they will be dumped in the garbage and a 'shipment perished' notice will be given to the recipient. So no, not all allow them.

My parting word is watch the weather to make sure they aren't too hot. And get them there before the express mail deadline...
big_smile.png

Have fun!

I looked at Horizons site more, but it looks like they only ship it in quantities, 5 was the lowest. I looked at Cutler's Supply and when I tried to calculate shipping I don't think it was right for just shipping a box. I got "United Parcel Service (1 x 50.00lbs) (Ground) $27.05" and "United States Postal Service (Priority Mail) $45.15" and any other estimates were even higher. Is that the right cost of shipping?

Also, is the testing free? If not how much would it cost?

Last edited:
Is shipping for JUST the box usually around 30$ or more?? That seems way too high just for the box itself.

Quote:
Testing is whatever the tester charges, some do it free I've heard.

However, there is a yearly fee of $25.00 so you can get registered at the NPIP base in GA.

If you PM me your email, I can forward you all the information, along with your state go-to person, who can put you in touch with a large list of testers. (Or, you can become a tester and test your own birds, free!
big_smile.png
)

I am checking around about boxes, you are right it doesn't seem right.

I can tell you this much: When I had a rooster shipped to me, I paid right around $50...for the box and shipping (PA to IN), using USPS Priority mail. The rooster was free though
tongue.png
I will say it was fast...had the little fella the day after he was shipped.

ETA: Oops..yes - he was sent express mail, not priority...as he was not a chick.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm probably wrong, but I thought it was illegal to ship Priority? Or am I wrong?

Yes can only ship day-old Priority....some do ,but think about the bird 3 days without water ...bad idea I have shipped 4 peachicks (3 month old) To CA from Ohio for 65.00 EXPRESS next day.

Reason day old can be shipped priority they live off the yolk the first 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom