Questions about Silkie

JennAndHens

Songster
May 4, 2021
A woman offered me a silkie saying that she’s about a year old and that her flock mates had been lost to predators. She tried putting her in with her full-sized hems, but they picked on her, so she’s alone, lonely and “broody”.
This poor little lady is in rough shape. Since I’m new to Silkies (and chickens of any kind, really!), I’m just looking for some advice on her condition.
She was so scruffy-looking that I actually gave her a bath. She’s eating and drinking, her poop looks mostly okay. I found a poop this AM that has she’ll starting to form around it. She has bald spots on her wings and there’s nothing left of her wing feathers but the quills.
I have four babies that she can live with after a little quarantine.
I’ll add some pics, but they’re a little dark.
Is this molting? Hen pecking?
Any tips on what I can do/look for would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 2A4CA53F-19A0-43E5-85DF-B41D5D16B440.jpeg
    2A4CA53F-19A0-43E5-85DF-B41D5D16B440.jpeg
    583.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 4B12060B-C0D1-4A8F-AAE2-2369771495BD.jpeg
    4B12060B-C0D1-4A8F-AAE2-2369771495BD.jpeg
    554.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 0EAA03EE-FAE2-4FC4-8C84-293ED5D478E7.jpeg
    0EAA03EE-FAE2-4FC4-8C84-293ED5D478E7.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 6
A woman offered me a silkie saying that she’s about a year old and that her flock mates had been lost to predators. She tried putting her in with her full-sized hems, but they picked on her, so she’s alone, lonely and “broody”.
This poor little lady is in rough shape. Since I’m new to Silkies (and chickens of any kind, really!), I’m just looking for some advice on her condition.
She was so scruffy-looking that I actually gave her a bath. She’s eating and drinking, her poop looks mostly okay. I found a poop this AM that has she’ll starting to form around it. She has bald spots on her wings and there’s nothing left of her wing feathers but the quills.
I have four babies that she can live with after a little quarantine.
I’ll add some pics, but they’re a little dark.
Is this molting? Hen pecking?
Any tips on what I can do/look for would be appreciated. Thank you so much!
Poor dear!
She could probably use some extra protein. A Flock Raiser type of feed is a good source and has 20% protein. You can also give her some scrambled eggs in addition. Plain, nothing added.
Check her for mites. Even though you have bathed her, she may need a dusting with some permethrin powder. Best place to look for mites is around the vent, under the wings and deep in the neck feathers. 😊

Back
Top Bottom