Questions about what quail can eat.

Oh, my. It sounds like almost 100% of that diet is treats and not balanced at all. I really would recommend just getting a good commercial game bird maintenance feed.
How is it not balanced? Everything says quail need a balanced diet with a mix of grains, seeds, vegetables, calcium, and protein. This recipe cotains many of the ingredients and provides nutrients, carbohyradtes, and protein. I can add peanuts and oats for extra fiber and protein, but I don't understand how this is not balanced when I've checked over the science several times AND with an avian vet.

I don't believe the OP intended it as the diet, though it appears they have been advised that birds need scratch, and bought into that claim.

Most of us of greater experience, when we wish to encourage scratching behaviors, simply throw some of the bird's complete feed at the ground. Though it seems unlikely, throwing the feed seems to make it far more attractive to my dinsaurs than simply pouring it in the bowl.

I can even take feed in the bowl which they are ignoring and scatter that, watch them stampede with eagerness to consume it. "Bird brains"...
I'm thinking of fermenting the grains (scratch), is that good?

How is it not balanced? Everything says quail need a balanced diet with a mix of grains, seeds, vegetables, calcium, and protein. This recipe cotains many of the ingredients and provides nutrients, carbohyradtes, and protein. I can add peanuts and oats for extra fiber and protein, but I don't understand how this is not balanced when I've checked over the science several times AND with an avian vet.
It just seems like it's filled with things that would be considered treats. What proportions of each are you using? The insects aren't bad, depending on what kind, but I would worry about too many grains. If you've gone over it with an avian vet who knows the needs of coturnix quail, then trust them over me, though!

Oh okay. They gave me a list for a daily thing, and warned me that too many sunflower seeds can be fatty so I understand.
Feed in morning and evening, amount for 1 meal:
- Fermented grains: 1-2 tablespoons
- Small handful of bugs and vegetables
- Soybean meal: 1 teaspoons
- Calcium: 1 teaspoon
- Sunflower seeds: 1 teaspoon
Do NOT feed:
Avocado, chocolate, citrus, alcohol, caffeine, salty or sugary foods, moldy or spoiled food, stems/leaves of tomato, uncooked potatoes, grape seeds, meat, rhubarb, parsley.

That's the list they sent me, so I was just going off that. Does that sound correct or too fatty?

Oh okay. They gave me a list for a daily thing, and warned me that too many sunflower seeds can be fatty so I understand.
Do NOT feed:
Avocado, chocolate, citrus, alcohol, caffeine, salty or sugary foods, moldy or spoiled food, stems/leaves of tomato, uncooked potatoes, grape seeds, meat, rhubarb, parsley.

That's the list they sent me, so I was just going off that. Does that sound correct or too fatty?
I'm not an expert, but this is what I think:
The balance doesn't sound too bad as long as it's more bugs than vegetables and the kind of grain. Corn can be quite fattening for them, for example. The calcium seems high since I know that should be about 3.5% of their nutrition. I don't know what your calcium source is, though, so they might not be absorbing all of it.

I'd want to do the math to figure out what percent protein that is as well. For adults it should be around 22-24%.

If you have a feed mill in your area, you may want to consult with them, since that is their area of expertise. You may find that it is a lot less time consuming and maybe even cheaper to have them custom mill a feed for you.

Do NOT feed:

With respect, that's not a recipe. It looks like something come off of a web page by some well meaning person whose depth of knowledge is very shallow.

If it came from your vet, I again recommend finding another vet.

As to fermenting feed - fermenting *can* make some nutrients more bioavailable, others less. Which ones and how much depends on what you are fermenting, how you are fermenting, and what you are fermenting with. In stark terms, would you mistake kim-chi for wine, beer, or yogurt? They are all fermented. DETAILS MATTER.

Anybody telling you differently is inviting you into their magical world - all you must do is abandon your own reason and experience.

I've nothing against magic, personally. Most magical systems have a somewhat cohesive set of rules regarding their practice, which make sense from their own perspective. When it comes to feeding my animals, I prefer a more reliable, predictable practice than hopes and prayers - though at times I sprinkle that liberally as well (particularly with regard my pasture.)

With respect, that's not a recipe. It looks like something come off of a web page by some well meaning person whose depth of knowledge is very shallow.

If it came from your vet, I again recommend finding another vet.

As to fermenting feed - fermenting *can* make some nutrients more bioavailable, others less. Which ones and how much depends on what you are fermenting, how you are fermenting, and what you are fermenting with. In stark terms, would you mistake kim-chi for wine, beer, or yogurt? They are all fermented. DETAILS MATTER.

Anybody telling you differently is inviting you into their magical world - all you must do is abandon your own reason and experience.

I've nothing against magic, personally. Most magical systems have a somewhat cohesive set of rules regarding their practice, which make sense from their own perspective. When it comes to feeding my animals, I prefer a more reliable, predictable practice than hopes and prayers - though at times I sprinkle that liberally as well (particularly with regard my pasture.)
They were an online service that specialized in avian medicine. I can't find a vet that specializes in poultry. I don't know what to add to this diet, I'm thinking maybe chia seeds after researching their benefits. Do you have reccomondations?

I'm not an expert, but this is what I think:
The balance doesn't sound too bad as long as it's more bugs than vegetables and the kind of grain. Corn can be quite fattening for them, for example. The calcium seems high since I know that should be about 3.5% of their nutrition. I don't know what your calcium source is, though, so they might not be absorbing all of it.

I'd want to do the math to figure out what percent protein that is as well. For adults it should be around 22-24%.

If you have a feed mill in your area, you may want to consult with them, since that is their area of expertise. You may find that it is a lot less time consuming and maybe even cheaper to have them custom mill a feed for you.
What would you reccomend adding to the diet? I'm thinking maybe chia seeds after I read about the benefits, but I don't know what would make it balanced enough. Thank you by the way, I appreciate your responses. You are helping me a lot, so thanks.

What would you reccomend adding to the diet? I'm thinking maybe chia seeds after I read about the benefits, but I don't know what would make it balanced enough. Thank you by the way, I appreciate your responses. You are helping me a lot, so thanks.
I'm glad I'm giving your food for thought, at least. :)

I am still going to recommend a commercial feed over trying to create one by hand. Have you considered black soldier fly larvae? They are easy to raise, and they are high in protein, low in fat, and contain calcium. I plan to add them to my quail's diet in addition to their regular commercial feed.

I'm glad I'm giving your food for thought, at least. :)

I am still going to recommend a commercial feed over trying to create one by hand. Have you considered black soldier fly larvae? They are easy to raise, and they are high in protein, low in fat, and contain calcium. I plan to add them to my quail's diet in addition to their regular commercial feed.
I'm currently giving my birds some freeze dried BSFL purchased online as a treat/protein and calcium boost. They love them. However, I'm looking forward to setting up my own production so I can quit buying them.

I've also been sprouting mung beans and give them some every once in a while. I'm not sure which they like better, the sprouts or the BSFL.

Back
Top Bottom