Questions about worming quail...?

SeptemberQuail

Songster
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
Australia
So, my quail live on soil/grass, and recently one died of worms (I'm presuming from her symptons). None of my other quail show any signs, but I'm a little worried it might happen to them. Every few days I feed them small amounts of garlic as a natural dewormer.

So anyway, my questions are;

- The wormer I found is a pig and poultry wormer, no withdrawing is necerssary for laying poultry and is supposed to treat against roundworms, caecal worms and hairworms. Even if my quail don't have worms currently (that I know of), do I still give them the worming medication anyway?

- How long do wormers normally last for? The dosage mix is only 10ml with water, and I heard to worm quail twice a year, so I'd be using only 20ml which would be a waste of money...

- What is the dosage rate for quail, per quail? (I have 10 maturing quail chicks and 2 adult quail)

The product is called Vetsene Kilverm Poultry Wormer 125ml.
I'm new to the quail business and owning pets where I play a big part (we had chooks when I was little but I never really cared as much as I do now) so that's why I'm asking so many questions...

Thanks!

Last edited:
The most proper way to worm quail or any poultry is to take a poop sample into a vet so they can test for the worms you are actually dealing with. Then you can pick and choose the type of wormer to use.

However, rarely do folks do this sort of thing. So on this note, worming with medications that take care of worms their birds do not have is common practice. And it is best to alternate two different types of wormers twice a year so that worms do not become immune to the wormers. In other words, if you worm them now, then in 6 months you would use another type. Then 6 months after that, you would go back to the wormer you used today.

Mix it according to the package directions for poultry. It is not necessary that they consume the entire container of water you mixed it in....it is only important to get the concentration of meds to water correct. Young or old quail will take the same amount of wormer. The wormer itself, if kept in a cool dry place should last for years.

You might see some diarrhea, however sometimes there are little symptoms if anything at all. Of course, as you mentioned, the weight loss, weakness and eventually death.

Since you keep your quail on the ground, you can assume that they do and will continue to get worms, since worms are present in all dirt and soil. So I would go ahead and worm them at least once if not twice a year. It will not hurt them and will prevent sickness and death.

You can feed them natural dewormers throughout the year to help keep the worms down. If these work well enough, then no chemical wormers would be necessary. But to rely on these types of wormers, it would be best to do a fecal sample check by a vet to know for sure.

If you suspect your quail have worms or you have never wormed your quail and they are more than a year old, it is best to use chemical wormers to kill off these internal parasites. Especially if you have already lost quail to worms. After they are dewormed, you can offer up natural wormers such as pumpkin, garlic and the like. However these things have to be given fairly regularly if not daily and still there is no guarantee they work. And they will not work on infestations.

There are chemical wormers out there that have no egg or meat withdrawal. Some wormers have egg withdrawal times. As for natural wormers, there is no withdrawal.

• dirtychick
  • new_egg.v168221180.png
I was wondering how much per quail of wazine to use -bottle tells about chickens but nothing on quail or per bird. Also read not to worm chickens when your incubating eggs any other feed back on that might be interesting to me . thanks
The amount is the same for chickens or quail....2 tablespoons Wazine per gallon of water for 24 hours. Repeat in 10 days.

You should not incubate eggs from hens that have recently been wormed. It can effect the cell development of the embryo's and possibly cause birth defects. So wait 2 weeks after the last worming before eating the eggs, meat, or incubating the eggs. After 2 weeks, this chemical has broken down as to not be detected in the body or eggs.

I'll see if they sell any other brands, as so far after browsing the web, this is the only one I can get my hands on. They don't have ones that deal with a specific type of worm so far though. And also, does that mean that the expiry date on the wormer may not always be 100% accurate?

I'm also wondering, how long does the medication last for? Does it last throughout the 6 month period?
And if quail have worms and given the antibiotics, would the worms be pooped out dead or just paralyzed?

Thank you so much for your response, you've been really helpful in several of my threads I've posted, so I thank you for that!

Last edited:
As for "how long the wormer lasts for"....it kills on contact. It does not stay in the system to continue to kill worms. Some wormers paralyze the worms and the birds poop them out, other wormers actually kill the worms over the following days after the wormer has been administered. However some wormers do not kill the worms eggs. (You have to read your package label). If this is the case, you would be advised to reworm about 12 days later, when the remaining eggs hatch so you can kill them as well.

The one you purchased does kill a wide variety and can be used. I have found that the most common of worm is the Round Worm in the intestine, although that is here in the US. Australia may be different. :)

Thanks!

What are the symptoms if a quail does get worms? (Besides weight loss and overall weakness.)

And even if my quail didn't have worms, should I still worm them chemically and on the occasion, feed them the natural de-wormers to keep it from re-occurring or ever happening?

What are and how and how often do you administer natural dewormer? If deworming, can you still eat the eggs and the meat of the bird?

Back
Top Bottom