Questions. Help please

Also here's a normal poop from yesterday. It's frozen, sorry

Sorry it didn't attach

Attachments

• 20200220_183847_HDR.jpg
    20200220_183847_HDR.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 3
Could he be constipated also? I just heard a weird noise and he was trying to poop but it sounded like a fart or something 😂 nothing came out, but it was a little squeaky noise.

Here's a new one.

Attachments

• 20200220_185347_HDR.jpg
    20200220_185347_HDR.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 3
For his foot wounds, you can use any antiseptic you have on hand. Anything to prevent bacteria from forming on the wound. Vetericyn is unique in that it promotes new tissue growth. It's a wound treatment I highly recommend for every chicken first aid kit.

I suspect he may be having some trouble with a clogged gizzard. The treatment I suggest is a molasses flush. It stimulates him to poop and will soften the gizzard contents to make it easier for him to poop. But it could be diarrhea, so prepare for a mess.

The recipe is one-fourth cup warm water with one teaspoon molasses stirred in. He needs to drink it all in order for it to clean him out.

You're on your way to getting this guy ship-shape again. Don't feel badly. You're doing the right thing. By the way, does he have a name? We tend to become emotionally invested in these little patients here. You and I are not the only ones rooting for him.

Thank you SO much! His name is baby goose I guess! I'm awful at naming things. I just call him buddy. He's always been my baby though. You think he'll be ok right? Nothing life threatening? He acts normal other than laying down often, but maybe his frostbite feet hurt? Thank you again, you guys are awesome! You have me peace of mind! Getting the molasses flush. How do I get him to drink it all? Edit : baby goose I mean. Mustang goose! How did autocorrect think that was a good option?!?!

Last edited:
His more or less normal behavior tells us he's going to be fine.

Try offering the molasses water to him first and maybe he'll like the taste and drink it all. Sometimes I can coax a chicken to drink by dipping her beak in the liquid. Try dipping his bill if he isn't sure about it.

You may need to use an oral syringe to get it all into him. It's not that hard if you can pry his bill open. The safest way is to insert the oral syringe directly into his esophagus. Here's a photo of a chicken getting syringed fluids. Geese are the same, located on his right side of his throat. upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg
upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

Thank you! He loved the wormer paste when I wormed him so maybe he'll like this. I'm going to try in the morning. You guys have been so helpful. I'm super happy he's going to be ok. Can I use honey or colloidal silver or some kind of essential oil on it? That's all I can find. TIA

Back
Top Bottom