Questions. Help please

Pics

MGG

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Feb 7, 2020
So, my gander is having some tiny green poops. He's on Purina flockraiser crumbles. I'm not sure if they're normal. He usually has big tan ones. (Sorry, kinda gross) I can attach a picture. He also lays around a lot, especially when I let him out. It's really cold here though. Almost always in the negatives day and night. I'm guessing his feet are just cold, but thought I'd mention it. Is this just normal and hopefully I'm paranoid? @casportpony

Attachments

• 20200218_181654_HDR.jpg
    20200218_181654_HDR.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200218_181708_HDR.jpg
    20200218_181708_HDR.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 10
The poop looks dry and scant, and that makes me think he could have an impacted crop or gizzard. Is he an "only child"? He sounds lonely. If he has no companion, and that can include a dog or cat as well as another goose, his well being could be poor and is affecting his health.

Check his crop in the morning after taking up his food and water tonight after you put him to bed in his coop. If it's full and hard like a sack of feed in the morning give him some coconut oil, abut two teaspoons to start and massage it. If his crop is spongy like a water balloon, don't massage. He may have sour crop. That would have to be treated with a vaginal yeast cream.

If he's a solitaire, I would hang a mirror in his coop so he can see his image where he is used to sleeping. A little thing like that could make a lot of difference to him, making his feel a though there is another goose in his coop with him. It could raise his contentment level.

Here's a quick update, in case anyone was wondering. Silly goose has been eating the rye plain (not sprouted or anything) quite a bit. He has also been enjoying his soupy FR. He loves the fermented alfalfa cubes. He has been eating some grit too, now that he has it. His poop has returned to a nice healthy size and color. Today he got to eat some grass because the snow was melting. That made him very happy. He was also very talkative today, making contented little peep (honk?) noises. For the first time in at least a month he ate the FR dry today, with no encouragement. He went right in his coop and filled his crop up with FR. I was SO happy! He's overall doing great, thanks to all of your guy's help. Big thank yous to : @azygous , @Miss Lydia , @Wyorp Rock , @CindyinSD , @DiYMama540 , @MasterOfClucker , @Goosebaby , @Eggcessive , @casportpony , @Friendly_Lurker , and @Leader Bee . I hope I got everybody, thank you all!!! :wee

A goose's crop is pretty difficult to feel easily. Their down and feathers are so thick you have to sort of get down under all that and feel around.

Have you given him any greens or treats? Anything other than his usual feed?
Poultry can actually become dehydrated in the cold weather, just as easily as the hot weather. You could try adding some electrolytes to his water for a few days. I like to use the clear pedialyte because it's easiest to come by for me, but they do make some specifically for poultry.

Keep us posted with poop pics!!

Here is his poop this morning. It looks much more normal I think. I'm mot sure what those 2 dark brown ones are. Are they cecal poops or something? He ate when I put his food in this morning. I let him out and he ran around and then he came back and layed down. He tucked his feet in so I think they were cold. I found a flap of skin where his crop should be. It was empty. I felt it after he ate and I could feel the crumbles in it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200219_092435_01.jpg
    IMG_20200219_092435_01.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200219_092433_01.jpg
    IMG_20200219_092433_01.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200219_092440_01.jpg
    IMG_20200219_092440_01.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 9
That looks more like chicken poop to me?

The first pictures you posted look fairly normal to me at least, I see plenty of those around my yard. I would definitely continue to monitor him though. If he is eating and drinking normally it probably isn't a crop-related problem. Perhaps the weather messed with him a bit.

Also, Are you planning on getting another goose anytime soon? Geese just like many birds are very social creatures that require an animal of the same group, Chickens and Ducks do not speak the same "Language" as geese, Just like Humans and Monkeys are related but we would definitely rather hang out with another Human.

Also, Are you planning on getting another goose anytime soon? Geese just like many birds are very social creatures that require an animal of the same group, Chickens and Ducks do not speak the same "Language" as geese, Just like Humans and Monkeys are related but we would definitely rather hang out with another Human.
I wholeheartedly agree. I would get another gander so that hormones don't interfere in your excellent relationship with the geese. I think you'd see a more content gander if he finds himself with a buddy that he can relate to.

I'd also get a male gosling instead of an adult. I'd brood the gosling right in your gander's coop so he imprints on your gander. That way the youngster can be properly guided and disciplined by the older goose. Many of us have such a pair in our chicken flocks and the younger one usually will defer to the older one, minimizing conflicts.

Back
Top Bottom