Questions. Help please

That looks more like chicken poop to me?

The first pictures you posted look fairly normal to me at least, I see plenty of those around my yard. I would definitely continue to monitor him though. If he is eating and drinking normally it probably isn't a crop-related problem. Perhaps the weather messed with him a bit.

It's definitely his poop. I cleaned his coop out last night, and he was locked up all night. Chickens were also securely penned. Thanks for all of your guys help. Do the updated pics look ok too?

I agree with @ MasterOfClucker that the poop looks normal and it sure sounds like he has a normally functioning crop. Now that you know how to check a crop, I suggest you do so routinely.

Have you checked over his feet well? Poultry have a little habit of pointing out to us when their feet and legs hurt by pecking at them. When their ears hurt, they scratch them with their feet. When they have a tummy ache, they sometimes sit and become withdrawn. So keep an eye on his behavior. He will let your know when he's not feeling well.

Also, Are you planning on getting another goose anytime soon? Geese just like many birds are very social creatures that require an animal of the same group, Chickens and Ducks do not speak the same "Language" as geese, Just like Humans and Monkeys are related but we would definitely rather hang out with another Human.

Also, Are you planning on getting another goose anytime soon? Geese just like many birds are very social creatures that require an animal of the same group, Chickens and Ducks do not speak the same "Language" as geese, Just like Humans and Monkeys are related but we would definitely rather hang out with another Human.
I wholeheartedly agree. I would get another gander so that hormones don't interfere in your excellent relationship with the geese. I think you'd see a more content gander if he finds himself with a buddy that he can relate to.

I'd also get a male gosling instead of an adult. I'd brood the gosling right in your gander's coop so he imprints on your gander. That way the youngster can be properly guided and disciplined by the older goose. Many of us have such a pair in our chicken flocks and the younger one usually will defer to the older one, minimizing conflicts.

I'm considering giving him to my friend because they have geese and then I could visit him. I don't really have enough room for him and we travel quite a bit. We have people that take care of the chickens but my goose doesn't like strangers really and it's going to be hard for them to care for him. We were wanting to take a vacation this summer and he just doesn't really fit our lifestyle. I love him so much though, it'll be hard for me. I just need to keep him until May. I'm going to get him a mirror for sure. I think he'll really like that. Thank you all for your help. I'll keep a close eye on him. I hope the person who will be taking care of him keeps a close enough eye on him. I'll probably call everyday 😂

I sifted through some sandbox sand and kept all the big pieces. I rinsed them off and offered him some. He ate quite a few of them. I totally had forgotten to put it back in when I moved him, he probably hasn't had grit in a month or so. I feel so dumb. 🤦‍♀️ Doesn't their feed have grit in it though? I thought it usually has enough for them to process the food. He's on Purina flockraiser. His poops still looked good this evening.

I feed Flock Raiser, too, and no, it doesn't contain grit. I'm sure the big guy is going to be so much more comfortable now that he's got grit in his crop again. Now you know that grit is as important as fresh water at all times.

Speaking of that, does he have a tub of water where he can submerge his head in order to clean out his eyes and breathing holes? Keeping water fowl is a bit tricky because they need this water access, but if it slops out over their bedding, then their feet can become necrotic. It's a subtle balance required for a healthy goose.

Back
Top Bottom