Questions. Help please

Look at this diagram of a goose's digestive system. https://www.facebook.com/notes/caro...gestive-system-in-ducksgeese/206464692717233/

You see the crop is the enlarged pouch extending from the esophagus. That's where the food goes after he swallows it. It then proceeds down the digestive tract, and the end of the journey is the gizzard where the food gets ground up again. The crop and the gizzard is where constipation occurs when a bird doesn't drink enough or have adequate grit. They get sick pretty quickly when this happens.

The crop empties regularly just as our stomachs do. If his crop isn't emptying overnight, any food he eats just adds to the stuff already there, and it can sour and become putrid if the condition persists. It can be fatal.

If you feel a full crop in the morning that feels like a sack of feed, give him the oil immediately. I'll check in here in the morning to see how our boy is and if you have any questions.

The problem with crop disorders in poultry is that most people either don't know what the crop does or even that it exists. So when a chicken or duck or a goose all of a sudden acts sick, lethargic, weird poop, either tiny and scant or loose and watery, they have no idea what to even check. It's one of the most common illnesses and one of the most easily treatable.

So do what @DiYMama540 suggested and run your hand up under his outer pelt of feathers and down until you feel skin. Then you should be able to feel the crop pouch. Let your fingers do the "seeing". Try to decide if it feels more solid like a sack of rice or more like liquid as a water balloon would feel. What you decide it feels like will determine how you will treat it if it's full.

If you don't feel a full pouch at all, only a flat chest wall, that means his crop is healthy and normal and emptied over night as a crop should. If there's even so much as a couple tablespoons of stuff in his crop in the morning, it could signal the blockage is in his gizzard, and that gets an even different treatment. We'll talk about it in the morning.

I'm considering giving him to my friend because they have geese and then I could visit him. I don't really have enough room for him and we travel quite a bit. We have people that take care of the chickens but my goose doesn't like strangers really and it's going to be hard for them to care for him. We were wanting to take a vacation this summer and he just doesn't really fit our lifestyle. I love him so much though, it'll be hard for me. I just need to keep him until May. I'm going to get him a mirror for sure. I think he'll really like that. Thank you all for your help. I'll keep a close eye on him. I hope the person who will be taking care of him keeps a close enough eye on him. I'll probably call everyday 😂

Back
Top Bottom