Questions. Help please

Pics
Thanks for your detailed post, that helps a lot! I live in SD too and boy it's cold here. We had a few nice days though ;)
So cool to meet a fellow South Dakotan, :) There's not that many of us.:lau

I'm near Silver City and shop in Rapid. If you do too, you can buy your grains at D&M Ag Supply. It's a lot easier to get into than the elevator downtown. Just head out toward the airport. They're on the left shortly after the overpass. They have a big yellow canvas tunnel shelter for hay, etc. They also carry Hubbard feeds, incl. waterfowl feed.

Since you're gonna be gone I would not start the whole fermented feed thing until you get back. That's too much to ask of a neighbor. You can try some active ACV in the water and see whether he'll drink it. It never seemed to bother my chickens but some birds refuse it. It would be easy for your friend to do, though. I would get a bottle of that and try it. If he still drinks the water, your friend can put some in easily enough. Be sure to get the mirror, though, if you can. That's a big deal for him.

Oops! I just saw that you did get him a mirror. Excellent! I have some sweet little drakes. I might be willing to part with one if you're close enough and decide to keep your little guy. They're all buds and if they all went together they'd probably ignore him, but one alone, I think, would warm up to him pretty quick.

That's really nice, thanks! I'm more near Brookings. We do have a Hubbard Feeds not to far away. Maybe they might have some for me? It's not too big though. He does like ACV. I've heard some conflicting things on that, it's ok to give him right? Thanks for all of your help!

That's really nice, thanks! I'm more near Brookings. We do have a Hubbard Feeds not to far away. Maybe they might have some for me? It's not too big though. He does like ACV. I've heard some conflicting things on that, it's ok to give him right? Thanks for all of your help!
I think some folks expect a lot from ACV, but it's definitely a good thing for your birds and yourself. Since you're going on vacay, a good compromise with your neighbor caring for little Buddy while you're gone. A bale of alfalfa would not set you back much, esp in Brookings area and might provide fiber if he's willing to eat it. Fiber is important food for the body's microbiome, and grinding stuff up reduces its efficacy. Even if he doesn't eat it, it's also nice for snuggling.

Make sure your neighbor knows he needs water available at all times if you do put alfalfa hay in with him though. They need water anywhere they can eat, to clear their nares and rinse their eyes.

Thank you. What kind of hay? He has a 2 gallon bucket with a good water heater in it. ACV has cleared up pasty butt in my guinea fowl so I know it helps, I just wondered how much. I'll definitely get him some. I'm going to put in the mirror today and get him the wheat.

Thank you. What kind of hay? He has a 2 gallon bucket with a good water heater in it. ACV has cleared up pasty butt in my guinea fowl so I know it helps, I just wondered how much. I'll definitely get him some. I'm going to put in the mirror today and get him the wheat.
How much ACV? I'd go with what Miss Lydia said--a Tbsp per gallon. I don't usually use it since I ferment anyway, but when I do, I just pour a little glug in.

Back
Top Bottom