Questions! Mallard ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 802farmergirl, Feb 25, 2013.

1. 802farmergirl

802farmergirl New Egg

Feb 16, 2013
    Hello I have 2 female and one male that have been brought into my house because on of the females leg was cold and sprained. Also it has been freezing and i dont bare to stick th out there till shes fully healed. So anyways now that there in the warmth I have been letting them lay on there eggs for about 20 days and I was wondering if anyone has naturally hatch eggs? Any tips would be great because I have never done this before! Any thing would help thank you!

2. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    Post pictures when they hatch! I didn't get the chance to let mine hatch naturally and had throw them in the incubator, but ducklings are wonderful.
    Keep in mind that the other ducks might not take kindly to babies, so you'll need to keep a close eye on them (at least at first). I wouldn't suggest touching the eggs when they are hatching because mom duck might not take them back.
    I don't know if you've hatched before, but one of the biggest questions seems to be swimming ducklings. They can swim from day one, but can't produce their own oil to stay afloat/water resistant. Mother duck provides that, but if she for some reason rejects them, you'll have to make sure to dry them off/keep them warm after a swim (I would wait until day 4 or so if you're mother duck) Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by