Questions on a Broody

hmbrown05

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 4, 2014
Texas
So I have a broody hen who has been sitting her nest for at least 2 weeks, though likely much longer as we were out of town for 3 weeks and our house sitter did not see her the whole time we were gone. The other hen that went broody when we left has 6 chicks who are roughly 10 days old. This hen is roughly 6 months old and I had yet to see an egg from her prior to leaving and all of her eggs in her nest are TINY pullet eggs with the exception of 4 that are from another hen. I have candled the leghorn eggs Monday and all I can see is the air sac so I figure we should have chicks anytime, but I am beginning to think it's a failed nest (16 eggs total). My question is, will she give up her brood without hatching chicks? Would it be possible to remove her old eggs and replace them with new ones for her to hatch (moving her in the process as she is in the way at the moment)?

This is our first brooding experience and while I am cautious of starting a new nest so late in the year, we live in Texas and, frankly, it stays hot well into October most years so I figure temperature wise we are safe if we actually end up with chicks (momma hen would have the mothering honors), and I would love some chicks out of some of our other birds.

Any insite or experience would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Being she has been setting for weeks, if you put fresh eggs under her----she "might" stay on the nest for 3 more weeks, might not. When you candled the eggs, did you remove the no good eggs? If not I would candle them and remove any no-good ones, making sure any fresh eggs that might get layed in her nest are removed daily. If you move her---again she might stay on the nest----might not. I always move mine after dark, nest and all. Good Luck

Haha! Nevermind! Went to check her again after MY little chicks were in bed and she has at least two little fuzzies under her :) Having baby chicks could become quite addictive, lol!

Haha! Nevermind! Went to check her again after MY little chicks were in bed and she has at least two little fuzzies under her
smile.png
Having baby chicks could become quite addictive, lol!
Good For you/her---LOL. Baby Chicks are addictive---I have been taking 50 to 100 per week out the hatcher for weeks.

I would leave her alone now---not peeking under her----till all that will hatch--hatches. If you peek under her, it causes her to loose moisture that is needed for the other eggs to hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom