questions on broody mamas

therandomhatcher

Chirping
Apr 2, 2021
I am planning on getting silkies and royal palm turkeys both to raise broods. I am pretty sure silkies can but can royal palm turkeys raise quail, chicken, ETC. not sure if this is the right section to put this in.🤷‍♂️

Quails are very small compared to turkeys. They may be squished under a turkey. Im no expert, but what I do know is that quail are very prone to some dieseases that turkey's and chickens are not. It may be harming the quail to hatch more than them hatching. Your silkie may be ok if you take to quail from the silkie....? I would need a second opinion.
@Overo Mare @Kiki

Silkies are excellent mothers. They will do fine with raising quail, turkeys, chickens, guineas, etc. They are the gentlest breed I've ever seen. Just don't use the turkey. They are a bit less gentle and it may result in dead babies, as mentioned.
Good luck on your hatching journey!

I am planning on getting silkies and royal palm turkeys both to raise broods. I am pretty sure silkies can but can royal palm turkeys raise quail, chicken, ETC. not sure if this is the right section to put this in.🤷‍♂️
Quail? No! It's not how nature intended it-quail are too small to be raised by a turkey. Won't work. They’ll probably die.

They could be ok but If it's the first time broody you're taking a chance.
Just because most silkies are doesn't mean all of them are good.
You could be right. In my experience, though, I've had a few first-time silkie mothers that did fine with hatching quail - not one dead, ever. If you are willing, take the risk. I'm sure it will not disappoint you.

Back
Top Bottom