questions on making a brooder inside the coop

Pics
2 sides of this brooder will be covered in plywood .A third side will have a clean out door. Its the side that attaches to the run that concerns me because the pallet run has only got hardware cloth on it and that will let too much cold air in the brooder.A window on that wall would allow the flock to see the chicks in the brooder and keep the cold air out of the brooder. I guess I'll be taking some measurements of the wall tomorrow so I can find a window that'll fit.I don't have any updated photos of the brooder since I got the sides up today.The run is on the left in this photo.
Just make sure it still has good ventilation. Chicks need it too.

I put the chicks in the coop brooder today. I will say they showed me where every tiny spot was that they could still fit through! Thankfully the big ones were out in the run and not in the coop. I sat out there for a while watching them and saw them poke their head out and pull it back so didn't think they could fit out the spots..... Came in but my camera pinged that there was movement so peeked and yup there is a chick running on the wrong side of the brooder looking to get back in!!!!!! I went out and put it back in and blocked up the holes then looked back at the camera and ya about 4-5 had popped out and back in again before this one couldn't find his way back in! I have it blocked with cardboard for now but think tomorrow I may just cut HWC and block it with that.

right after I came in I was watching them on the camera and they all jumped and run under the MHP and I couldn't figure out why so switched to the coop cam and my roo came in and looked at them that is why they all ran and hid. he checked them out for a min or two then went back out. Not 1 of the girls even looked in there at all. At bedtime they all went into the coop and up on the roost with out even looking in but I think the chicks went to bed earlier since it gets dark under the poop board faster so that may be why.

will keep a close eye on them tomorrow when i am home and see how everyone reacts. I have a broody in there on eggs but thankfully she didn't seem bothered by them in there. Her eggs are due to hatch in 18 days so the chicks will be about 3 1/2- 4 weeks old. Will have to see how it goes before I allow them out to start mingling with the bigs since she will have babies to protect!!!! But hoping in a few weeks I can let them start exploring a bit.

oh boy these sneaky chicks! One flew up to the TOP part that I didn't make smaller and jumped out! she managed to find her way back in by jumping back up and in! These slots are SKINNY so not sure how she flew up and managed but she did.

There is now HWC covering it. so at least the chicks can see the big ones better and the big ones can see them better. So far the roo has gone in once yesterday and once today to peek in at them but he has been the only one. One of the girls gave them the side eye when she went in to lay but that was all. I am going to try to make something that they can go out in the run in when they get a little bigger so I can put them out there for a little bit and interact a bit more.

Ok the chicks seem great out in the brooder but tonight is about 40 and they all seem huddled under the MHP. Mine has 9 settings and it is set at 7 still since it has been cooler at night here. This week is going to be rainy and cool. Should I bump up the MHP? I got the chicks (from the feed store the day they arrived) 9 days ago so guessing they are 12 days old or so. In the house the heating pad was down to 5 and before they went out they seemed warm at that. But the house is obviously warmer than the coop. Lol. The other 2 nights they were spread out under the MHP

@rosemarythyme

Ok the chicks seem great out in the brooder but tonight is about 40 and they all seem huddled under the MHP. Mine has 9 settings and it is set at 7 still since it has been cooler at night here. This week is going to be rainy and cool. Should I bump up the MHP? I got the chicks (from the feed store the day they arrived) 9 days ago so guessing they are 12 days old or so. In the house the heating pad was down to 5 and before they went out they seemed warm at that. But the house is obviously warmer than the coop. Lol. The other 2 nights they were spread out under the MHP

@rosemarythyme
I don't change the heat settings once I tune them down, but if they are showing signs of distress or huddling very closely it'd be safer to go by their body language and bump it up.

I don't change the heat settings once I tune them down, but if they are showing signs of distress or huddling very closely it'd be safer to go by their body language and bump it up.
Thanks. I turned on the sound on my camera and they were quiet so I will leave it for now and see how they are. They were running around today not as much as the 70* day but still out and running around. Tomorrow will be a bit warmer during the day so guess I will just watch and see how they are doing. I will say with the heat it was much easier in the house last year. hahaaa. The ambient temp was pretty consistant so every 2-3 days I lowered the MHP down 1. With 9 settings it took a while to get to 1. LOL With the fluctuating outside temps it has me questioning everything. But they seem happy, they are loving running all over, practicing flying, scratching around in there. They are growing and getting feathers so guess they are good.

My big ones haven't even really looked at them since I put them in. I have seen the roo look in a couple times but then he just walks off. LOL

Thanks. I turned on the sound on my camera and they were quiet so I will leave it for now and see how they are. They were running around today not as much as the 70* day but still out and running around. Tomorrow will be a bit warmer during the day so guess I will just watch and see how they are doing. I will say with the heat it was much easier in the house last year. hahaaa. The ambient temp was pretty consistant so every 2-3 days I lowered the MHP down 1. With 9 settings it took a while to get to 1. LOL With the fluctuating outside temps it has me questioning everything. But they seem happy, they are loving running all over, practicing flying, scratching around in there. They are growing and getting feathers so guess they are good.

My big ones haven't even really looked at them since I put them in. I have seen the roo look in a couple times but then he just walks off. LOL
Hey neighbor. We got our day-olds on 4/9. They went to the outdoor brooder on 4/11. On 4/12 we set the MHP (Sunbeam) heating pad to the lowest setting. The run was 39F when I took this picutre. They are thriving. Two weeks from today, the little chick doors open to allow them access to the whole run, and coop when they decide.

Attachments

• 1650883860061.png
    1650883860061.png
    810.3 KB · Views: 2
Hey neighbor. We got our day-olds on 4/9. They went to the outdoor brooder on 4/11. On 4/12 we set the MHP (Sunbeam) heating pad to the lowest setting. The run was 39F when I took this picutre. They are thriving. Two weeks from today, the little chick doors open to allow them access to the whole run, and coop when they decide.
Hey! Wow I couldn't imagine having mine down low right now. Maybe I will try to lower it some and see how they do. I like that it has 9 settings instead of low, Med and High. at 7 it doesn't seem super hot when I touch it either. Mine are out running around during the day and pop under to get warm, a couple seem to be under more than the others but that is pretty normal. so they will be what around 4 weeks when you let them out? You will have to let me know how each step of yours goes since I am a bit behind you so will be nice to see when and how things go.

I have a broody that is going to hatch some chicks on May 10 so thinking I need to work around her a bit for when I let them out too since she may be a bit meaner (or nicer but guessing meaner) to protect her babies...... Not good timing with that!

Back
Top Bottom