Questions on Permits

CherryChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Indiana
We were working on our 8x16 coop.
Its on skids we are going to put wheels on it next year so we can pull it with a tractor. There is no water or electrictiy going to this building and the only living tendents are our girls. We live out in the country have 2.5 acres.
Do I need to get a permit to build this building? Has anyone had problem with getting a permit?

Quote:
X2.

The issue with permits is that if one IS required for your coop, then you should have gotten it BEFORE the coop was built otherwise they can fine you or find violations and make your rebuild, alter, or remove the coop entirely.

Unless a neighbor complains, or you have inspectors out to your property for other things, chances are they will never find out.

Its all very confusing. When I researched the county website it says that no permit is required for a shed 200sq fet or less. Called to make sure and they said with my zone that I must have a permit $70.oo also I had to have 3 acres of land to build the coop on.

Zoning and permits are confusing. Start Here:

http://www.municode.com/Library/Library.aspx

Figure out what zone your home is in. Usually cities will post their zoning maps online. Use this zone and the Municode site to see what uses are allowed in your zone. It's difficult to figure out what's restricted, as that's usually not on the list of allowable uses.

But, if you're using the Municode site to check your zoning ordinances, you can search. Try "chicken", "poultry", and "fowl".

In New Orleans it got kinda tricky, as the only reference to chickens as a use of property came in the form of a definition. They defined a Kennel as a location that housed more than 4 dogs, cats, or chickens. My zone does not allow kennels, so I determined that I could keep up to 4 chickens.

So, don't discount the definitions, and read carefully. It's confusing. But I'd trust that more than I'd trust calling city hall and asking.

Oh, and... the zoning ordinances for your specific zone should tell you how large, tall, and close to the property line you can build your coop.

Good luck.
smile.png

Last edited:
I would just find out for sure, what you may be reading might be outdated. Sometimes things change quickly.

Luckily where I live there are no such things as ZONES or anything. I don't think I could live in an area where I had to pay to get permission to build. I would move if they tried that here.

I don't want to encourage illegal chicken-related activity, but if I were you I would just build the coop without a permit.

Unless someone complains for some reason it's unlikely the city/municipality will even notice the coop, and if they do you can always just be honest and say that you didn't know you'd need a permit and just pay it after the fact.

In most areas it seems like the main rules about coops are just that they have to be a certain distance from property lines or dwellings. Since your coop will be mobile that shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck!
smile.png

Quote:
There may be two issues. One is keeping chickens, other is building a structure.

My area for example, allows chickens as long as no neighbors complain about noise or smell. So keep the flock small, clean dutifully and no rooster. This is applicable for all pets... nuisance and noise. If a dog barks all day or night, it would have to go.

The other is the structure. As long as it is under certain size and some other limits, it does not require building permit.

It is inconceivable three acres are necessary to have a "shed" on your property. Given this backyard hobby or pets, not chicken farming.

Last edited:
We are able to have chickens in our area. Our neigbors have chickens which was what inspired me to get some of my own!
smile.png
They have a couple roosters and I have 3 but two are going to be processed soon. Our other neighbors have sheep and cattle.

Since we are making a mobile chicken coop. It wouldnt be classifed as a permenant structure so that is why I'm curious if I would still need a permit. The lady at the county office really wasnt' helping much and she acted like she wanted to get me off the line as quick as she could.

Back
Top Bottom