Questions pullets laying their first eggs

May 29, 2019
Hello,
I have six pullets 20 weeks old. Last week my first egg from my Plymoth Rock. First egg hard shell next egg same, next one soft shell. Then no egg the next double yoke. Now then hard.
Second pullet Orpington she may have done the soft shell and now laid two hard shells not in the nesting box yet.
Looks like two other hens are squatting.
My question is this is all normal and I have just put them on layer feed but they don't like it and all hens are not eating like they should. I initially bought layer feed from the mill all organic includes pellets, no corn, millet, oils black sunflower seeds , And more. The only thing they eat out of it is a black sunflower seeds. I bought a new organic crumble same brand as my growth feed. But they won't eat that like before. Any recommendation?

You've got new layers & the funky eggs are their system adjusting it's self to laying, it'll sort itself out. You could put a fake egg in the nest box to help them know where to lay. You've got 6 pullets, how many nest boxes do you have? Usually calculated at 4 hens to a nest box, so you should have at least 2 although they may all want to lay in one :rolleyes:
You can check whose laying with the pelvic check .... Thank you aart
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Oh yes, they do love the BOSS and will pick it out. Some feed grain, I've fed pellets but prefer the crumbles ... the fines don't matter to me since I ferment their feed.

I change feed slowly, 1/4 to 3/4 for a week, then 1/2 & 1/2 then 3/4 to 1/4 then complete the switch. Chickens don't like change ... Crumble to pellets is a change but they'll adapt, will just take time. If they don't free range, it's nice cause they can't be picky.

Some don't feed layer, I stopped few years ago after reading a thread about it. I now purchase the smallest bag of Chick Starter which I feed them for at least the first month or as long as that bag lasts. Then I convert them to Flock Raiser, when they start laying I then put out a separate dish of Oyster Shells. :fl haven't had any issues with laying nor shell quality.

Agree with ChickNanny about putting out some grit. They will eat what they need to make nice firm shells. The rest is normal for new layers. :) They will get better @ this.

I bought a new organic crumble same brand as my growth feed. But they won't eat that like before. Any recommendation?
They get hungry enough they will eat it..not really necessary to change them over slowly.

Agree with ChickNanny about putting out some grit.
Do you mean Oyster Shells?

Do you mean Oyster Shells?
No. Sorry, I forgot Americans use different terms for this stuff. It may have some oyster shell in it but our grit is a mix of small shells & stone grit ~ very high in calcium & helpful to help grind up the food. It's not in our food & is always offered separately out here. Oyster shell ground up probably does the same thing.

No. Sorry, I forgot Americans use different terms for this stuff. It may have some oyster shell in it but our grit is a mix of small shells & stone grit ~ very high in calcium & helpful to help grind up the food. It's not in our food & is always offered separately out here. Oyster shell ground up probably does the same thing.
You probably know this but thought I'd spell it out for others reading.
Grit and oyster shells are very different and can be confusing terms.
Granite Grit is to grind up foods.
Oyster Shell is for calcium supplementation.
It's best to give them separately.

You probably know this but thought I'd spell it out for others reading.
Grit and oyster shells are very different and can be confusing terms.
Granite Grit is to grind up foods.
Oyster Shell is for calcium supplementation.
It's best to give them separately.
I didn't. :( I've never heard of granite grit. I don't think it's a thing out here ~ like oyster shell. Not a thing out here. I follow my suppliers recommendations & use shell grit, which is the usual calcium supplement. They get enough small rocks etc from foraging & I've never needed to supplement that. Learn something new every day! :)

Back
Top Bottom