Questions with incubation.....HELP?

Shiningfeather

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2009
hill country texas
I have a still are LG incubator and have read different temps and humidity to keep it at, while in use (from different places including on this site). I am very confused at this point where to have it and I have a batch in right now! I did candle on day 12 and ALL are developing but I don't want to lose them in the end. They will be on day 18 this Saturday. This is my first time so I know I will have some loss. If anyone is in the North Central Texas area your still air temps and humidity numbers will help me out as well, as I have read it also has to do with location.

One other question is my DH says the chicks might burn their heads on the heating element after they hatch, I have not read that on any threads on here and would like to know if anyone has had that happen.
barnie.gif

Set your still air at 101, fill the water trays and leave it closed. The chicks aren't going to burn their heads on the heating element, trust me. Humidity is REALLY dry here, so you may have to add a damp sponge to the incubator come hatching time.

And just for reference, my very large cabinet incubator keeps humidity around 45 to 50% at all times, and as much as I've tried, I cannot get it to increase during hatching, but I still have good luck.

I started with an LG still air, then installed a fan, and then moved up to my cabinet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I do not know about the still air incubator, because we put a fan on our still air. But as far as the chicks burning their heads... mine never have. I wonder how they don't because it looks very close!!

Do you have a truner if so you will take it out on day 18 and lay your eggs on the wire this will give the chicks more than enough room so that they dont burn there heads. I keep mine at 100 but from all i have read here 101 is the best temp. But between 99.5 and 101.5 will still do a good job as the other post say fill the water chambers check thelm twice a week you may have to add water to thelm do this quick as you can and get the top back on some hatches i have to add water twice a week some only once. if you can find a small shallow tub to fit in the bottom to add water at hatch time (the grease thingy with the gorge forman grill works great or add a sponge on day 18 and keep it moist as mutch as you can. All info i have read here is very good there are a lot of different numbers they will all work and have been put together from hatchers experence and are a great guide. best luck with your hatch.

chicks burning their heads is the least of your worries.. forget that.

I ran an experiment..(am running it yet) with a still air LG..

I had the theory that I stated several times on different threads of this site and others..

the seal where the lid and the bottom come together , well, lets say it sucks..

it is not a very tight fit..

I ran a piece of duct tape around the seal.. wth all the vents on top open and the temps stabilized and starting with a dry bator..

the humidity was 29%

then I poured 1 ounce of water in and within an hour the humidity was 89% It took over 3 days to gradually drop to 40%

the room is 29%

Thanks for all the replies. I have got so much help on here.

jvls1942 I have noticed that it is not a tight fit. I have two LG bators, one is new and one old. What I noticed was the older one had a better fit between the top and bottom. I have thought about it and I came to the conclusion that the older one fit better because of more use and age. Have you noticed this with yours?

I know mine, both of them, will be steady for several days then just go wacky with the temp. I have them in a room by them selves and have no young kids that are around it. My husband is here during the day and keeps me updated all day with the temp and humidity, then I ask him to bring it up or down as needed. The room has no windows and only one door. I have a heater with thermostat in there for night when it get chilly or like the past several days where it has been down right cold. If you nhave any clue about this let me know please.

My eggs are due on Tues....I am so eggsited!
celebrate.gif

One reason I like my hova. The lg shape and design just sucks. I wonder if I can take the electronic thermostat from the lg and put it in the hova or in another styrofoam container....

So long as you keep the temp between about 98 and 102 the eggs will incubate and hatch. They may hatch late or early but they will survive with minimal losses. I lost 2 out of 18 by having to keep them at 97 since I had eggs at multiple levels (what happens when you over fill a bator). Usually a forced air is kept closer to 99 and a still air closer to 102. If they don't hatch on time you know you need to change the temp a little next time.

I know this isn't helpful to say, but I had dismal luck with Little Giants back in the day. After losing two hatches I gave them away and spent the money for a GQF. Haven't regretted it.

That being said, there are things you can do. The duct tape is one. Adding in small sponges is another way to increase humidity. I actually drilled a small hole in mine, and added water to the sponges using aquarium tubing. But I still think that the LGs are junk.

If you can't spring for a cabinet incubator, you might try a Hov A Bator, the one with the electric thermostate is so much better than a LG.

Best of luck on your hatches!

I have tried to keep it at 101 but it has dipped to 99 a few times. I added a sponge last night to get humidity up for hatch. I have two seperate hatches in this bator and can not move second set any where else..... I have wondered if I can put them on eggs I have going in another bator, in the center where heat element is not close, temporarily till this hatch is over. Has any one ever done this??? I may start another topic post and ask this. I need to do it today if I can since it is day 18.

good morning, I need a little info about your bator..

Your temp is fine , slight dips and peaks are nothing to worry about..

do you have an auto turner?

did the hum go up with the sponge?

Back
Top Bottom