Questions!

radical53

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 5, 2007
Lake Simcoe, Ontario
I have been lurking around this board for a few days and have a few questions if you will bear with me as i am new and dont have any chickens yet.

1. How much ventilation is required in the summer.

2, ......Winter

3. what is range of temps can the coop be at during summer and winter.

Thank-You for your time

David S

hu.gif
Hmmm. Seems to me you will get more answers if you give more specifics concerning where you live (climate-Alaska will have different needs than Florida) and your coop situation, number of birds, are they locked up all the time or do they free range. etc.

I live in Ontario about 1hr north of toronto(cold climate). The reason i am asking theese questions is because i am going to be building a coop soon and would work the info into the design. I am thinking of purchasing 3 laying hens at first then probably 1-2 pullets later. I am still not confirmed on which type of coop i am going to be building, but i am going to build a fenced in area for them to walk around and be safe from predators (even aerial ones). I am concerned about winter as i don't want them to freeze! Also i am not sure if i should lock them in the coop at night or allow them to do what they wish?

Thanks again!

for winter i have a leftover tropical fish heater which i will use for cold temps. Also i am going to try to mount a camera with live video feed so i can see how the hens are doing inside at all times!
big_smile.png
. (this post isn't really a question but it was just some ideas i had)

David S

P.S I am so sorry if i am driving everyone insane with questions but i have never had chickens before and want everything to go smoothly.

Last edited:
So, your coop will have electric? Problem solved!! Fans in the summer, heat lamps in the winter! Ventilation at floor level for summer. Just make sure it is a predator proof vent and one you can close tight for winter. A roof vent...like a turbine does wonders. Again, you will have to cover it in the winter with a plastic bag and some good old duct tape! Have fun building this coop, and of course.....we want pics!!

I have another question: would anyone recommend any breeds that are quite cold tolerant?

If i am translating correctly ventalation in sumer = good winter= bad.

yet another question please dont kill me from the abudance of questions but i am new to this
big_smile.png

Should i allow chickens year round access to their run or only when it is above a certain temp

and

i am thinking of having a chinkenwire floor and an airtight floor 2 inches below that to catch the poo should i put anything on top of the chicken wire or does it not matter?

Thanks

If any lurkers in a cold climate have pics of their ventilation it would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
No problem with too many questions! You have come to a friendly place!
Let's see I'll answer a few questions.
A couple of breeds that will continue to lay in cold weather are Barred Rock and Buff Orpingtons. Nice calm, friendly too. I would recommend a chicken with a smaller comb ( on the top of their head). They can freeze in cold weather.
sad.png
But the hens will cuddle up to keep warm and they are covered with feathers! That helps!
Yes, plenty of ventilation in summer. In winter, if your coop is too airtight, you will have condensation that will freeze on the walls and such.
They are fine going outside to their run, year round. They will come and go when they want. If it's too nasty, cold, windy, rainy they just stay in.
Any type of wire for flooring is bad for their feet, if they are standing directly on it. Some type of bedding: straw, wood chips, dirt will be best.
Hope that helps some. Others will pipe up with more answers. Ask away!
I just noticed something else. I would rec you lock them up at night, not matter how predator proof you build the coop and run. Raccoons and skunks are very persistant if they want a chicken dinner. Even if you live in a city, you have some kind of critter that would want to get your henny pennys.

Last edited:
I live in Montana and made roofline vents that have been working very nicely. I was able to maintain a steady 65 degrees in the coop near the floor when it was 28 outside at night this spring by closing the vents, heating with a standard 150 watt bulb, and building the coop extremely draft-free. No insulation needed. You can look up my whole coop for ideas, including closeup shots of the roofline vents that I close up when it gets cold, from this forum post;

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6593

As for your other questions-

- Allow then access to the run during all daylight hours, if safe and possible.
- Close up the coop at night to protect from predators.
- The fish heater might not work too well, but it is hard to say. Give it a shot and then run a heat lamp if it seems to not work like you'd like.
- Silver Laced Wyandottes are another great breed for cold weather. Very pretty, too, and good layers. Barred Rocks are great- I love my two Rocks. Very friendly.

Good luck

-MTchick

The fish heater is for their water to keep it from freezing right? Chickens peck at everything, and will pull the heater out of the waterer, so maybe tie it in place with wire? Or just buy a metal chicken waterer and a heater.

Look for a chicken breed with a pea comb they're the smallest.

Yes the water heater is to keep the water from freezing. I will try to keep it so they cannot peck at it.

Mtchick- so the 150 watt bulb will be enough heat for a coop (it just seams weird that a single bulb is enough to heat a coop the size that you have)

Thank-you very much for the link to your coop it has strongly influanced my descion on what i am going to build.

If anyone else has any pictures of their cold weather coops they will be greatly appreciated.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom