Questions!!

ptkds

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
I have 2 White rock hens, and 4 Barred Rock hens. The white rocks have started laying. We usually get 1 egg a day. I was wondering, will they eventually start laying early in the morning? right now, they lay sometime between 8am and 3pm. I can't always check all day like this for eggs, and I don't wan't to leave them out there. I know they would go bad in this Texas heat pretty quick.

Also, when do Barred rocks usually start laying? They are about 19 weeks old right now.

Thanks!

My father-in-law's 5 barred rock hens started to lay between 19 and 25 weeks. My buff orpington hens lay their eggs anywhere from 7 am until 6 pm. Some days I'll get 6 eggs before 11 am, other days I won't get an egg until 3 pm.

I used to feed the girls about 6 or 7 am. Now, I find if I feed them later like 8 or 9ish I get 80% of my eggs by 10 am. Then I leave the food available all day long. Mine are kept in a run. They do not free range.

Quote:
Your hens will lay when their bodies tell them its ready. For some hens its in the morning, and for others its in the afternoon, and for others its smack dab in the middle of the day. I dont think they change their laying schedules.

However, I am also in Texas and can tell you that eggs will not go back in just one afternoon. I've had layers such as RIR's, Barred Rocks, and Partridge Rocks here in Texas, as well as a brief stay in Southern Louisiana.

I always check for eggs when I leave for work in the morning, and when I return in the afternoon. Even in Texas heat they wont go bad in one afternoon. I wouldn't worry about it.

Now if you leave them there for two or three days in the heat, yes I would definitely throw them out... or leave them there to incubate! LOL

So, how long can the eggs stay out there? I just don't want to feed my kids bad eggs. But if they last for a few hours, I will be very happy!

They should last a couple of days. I was gone for the weekend last August and temps were in the high 80s here, collected eggs on Thurs and again on Sun afternoon and all the eggs were fine.

If you have doubts, drop them in a bowl of water, if they float don't use them but if they sink they're fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom