Quick Introduction

PrincessMomma

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 14, 2008
Oklahoma City
Hello! I wanted to post a quick introduction of myself as a new member of this message board.

My name is Jennifer, and I live with my husband, 2 daughters, a cat, a dog, and as of yesterday 1 chicken (hopefully it won't be too long before number 2 arrives).

I can honestly say that I never thought I would be a chicken owner. I grew up in cities out west and when I moved to Oklahoma City I felt like I was in the country. This place is so different from anything I had ever experienced. After 5 1/2 years we have fallen in love with the slow-paced life that this area has to offer and are ready to move out of the city and try our hands at country living and becoming more self-reliant.

I think that the funniest part of the story was that I heard somebody talking about their pet chickens on a homeschool board and thought it sounded like fun. I mentioned it to my husband and he said no way. Now, here we are just a few months later, and he surprises me by bringing home this little guy:
037.jpg

To be fair, I did get a little advance warning, he did tell me this past weekend that we might be getting two chickens sometime this week. You see, a friend of ours decided to get chickens to use for eggs and thought we might be interested as well. They were able to get two roosters and a hen, so we got one of the roosters and they have promised to get us a hen as well, hopefully sometime in the next week or so.

I have spent the last few days obsessing over all things chicken and trying to learn as much as I can. This website and message board seemed to be full of information and also really friendly, so I hope you don't mind me popping right in, asking questions, and fumbling along as I try to figure out what kind of trouble I have gotten myself into. This weekend will be especially interesting as we try to accomplish everything else we had planned and start building an outdoor coop and pen for our new babies.

I think you found the best place to learn about chickens! WE started out no knowing ANYTHING at all about chickens and now after just 2 months and 25 chickens that started as day olds are loving it and learned everything about chickens on BYC. People here are so helpful, and just by reading you can learn so much!
Enjoy. please get some friends for your chicken
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom