Quick question about night time roosting

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
We have had our chickens outside since late May-ish. We would lock them in the coop overnight but as the summer got warmer they started roosting outside in their run. Well now it's getting cold, sometimes freezing, and they are still staying outside. Do I need to put the light on in the coop to intice them in like when they were younger? In the beginning we left the light on until we closed up. If we turned it off before then they didn't go to roost on their own. Of course that changed as they aged but I'm now wondering if we are dealing with the same issue again since they've slept outside for 1/2 their lives now. Thoughts?

Is it something I should worry about in the cold weather? They still go in the coop to lay so I don't think it's the actual coop that bothers them.

It's probably the same height. When you mention height though can what they actually roost on make a difference? Outside they have 2 tree trunks but in the coop it's 2X4s. If height could make a difference, could the actual roost also be an issue?

I'm new to chickens but I now have an understanding that cold really doesn't bother them as much as it bothers me to see them in the cold. Hahaha

Do I need to put the light on in the coop to intice them in like when they were younger?
I use a sensor nightlight with a plug-in switch. 20201025_083417_resized.jpg 20201025_084149.jpg
I turn off the nightlight when I lockup the coops after sunset.
can what they actually roost on make a difference? Outside they have 2 tree trunks but in the coop it's 2X4s.
My bought coop has 2"x 3" roosts narrow side up.
The coop I built has 2"x 3" roosts wide side up.
The lower roost is 20" high and the upper roost is 24" in both raised coops. Roosts are about 40" above ground level.
They eagerly roost on either.
20200821_183834_resized.jpg

GC

I always nipped sleeping in trees right in the bud. If they were too high up I’d gently poke them with a stick until they came down, and sometimes I’d have to climb up and get them down. Eventually if they sat in the tree and then saw the stick they’d just hop down, and I haven’t had a problem with it for a while now. My birds are literally my children so there was no way I was letting them sleep outside! :lol:

Thoughts?
How many birds and what sized coop?
Dimensions and pics would hep immensely here.

Also...
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1603633234140.png

How many birds and what sized coop?
Dimensions and pics would hep immensely here.

Also...
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2386499

I could have sworn I added my location when adding my picture avatar! It's there now.

I am in East Central Illinois (Champaign/Urbana area). We have 8 hens though broody and chicks are currently in their own space so 7 are roosting together at night. The coop is 5' X 6'. Red was being nosy and poor pink was a little surprised when I opened the door. Lol
I've been wanting to change up the inside but since they've been roosting outside I did not make it a priority. I would LOVE some ideas!!

Attachments

• 20201025_090635.jpg
    20201025_090635.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201025_090649.jpg
    20201025_090649.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201025_090626.jpg
    20201025_090626.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 10
I always nipped sleeping in trees right in the bud. If they were too high up I’d gently poke them with a stick until they came down, and sometimes I’d have to climb up and get them down. Eventually if they sat in the tree and then saw the stick they’d just hop down, and I haven’t had a problem with it for a while now. My birds are literally my children so there was no way I was letting them sleep outside! :lol:
"Outside" for me is in the hopefully predator proof 🤞🤞 run that is attached to the coop. We still lock up the whole run/coop area at night and just leave the small door into their coop open. Heck no would they be sleeping outside in trees!! I'd have everyone out there with sticks poking and prodding them too😂

Back
Top Bottom