Quick Question about silkies?

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
Hi everybody! I just had a question about bearded and non bearded silkies, I got all of my silkies from Ideal about 2 years ago, and all were non-bearded. I was wondering since they are breeding and hatching out their own chicks, is it possible that they can have the bearded variety, I called Ideal but she seemed unsure and said yes she thought it was a possiblity, So I asked her if they were penned seperately, ( non bearded with non, bearded and bearded with bearded) I didn't really get a good answer for that all she said was when they take them out of the incubators there sent however they come out. So if you breed non bearded with non bearded will you only get non bearded chicks? and vise versa with the bearded ones? Thankyou Sandy

Hatcheries don't care what comes out as long as it is purebred (with a few exceptions) and lays a lot of eggs, thus, just like with Polish and Easter Eggers, bearded vs non-bearded is a mixed thing for them. They don't separate by type, as most customers don't care. You've got a chance of getting either.

Non bearded x Bearded = small bearded

Small bearded x Small bearded = 50% small bearded, 25% non bearded, 25% bearded

Bearded x Small bearded = 50/50 of either

Quote:
Thank you, I was afraid of that, mine are all non-bearded, and all of the chicks have been non-bearded so far. So I guess my chances of getting a bearded one is very slight.
sad.png
Yeah your right , about the hatcherys not caring to much about type. At least thats the impression I got from talking to her on the phone. She was really vague in her answers so maybe she just didn't know the answers to the questions I asked? Thankyou again.
smile.png

People who work at customer service for hatcheries likely no little to nothing of what goes on in breeding the birds. Breeding with most hatcheries takes place elsewhere by someone who's on a contract to breed so much of such and such.

Hatcheries do not always raise their own broodstock, but rather contract with others to provide them with hatcing eggs. Not sure about Ideal.

Anyways, if this is the case, the person you spoke with has likely not even seen the broodstock. The person answering the phone may not even know a whole lot about chickens.

Quote:
Yeah I kinda got that , Funny thing though cause it says if you have questions about breeds press whatever # button. Hmmm seems like they could have just skipped that option for all the info they have OR I just didn't ask the right questions? LOL Oh well, I'm just alittle disappointed with them at the moment with them, I'll get over it LOL I always do. Next time I will just order from a breeder that knows their birds (should've done that in the first place) Dont get me wrong I love all my birdies I was just hoping for a beard here and there.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom