Quick question! Apologies if this isn't the appropriate place. Bumblefoot injury and Blue Lotion on an injury where the kernel might still be inside.

Saden

In the Brooder
May 28, 2022
I've been working to get rid of this severe bumblefoot situation in my rooster- I made posts about it before, but this is more of a quick question before I do something potentially dumb. His back toe has a pretty nasty hole in it, I believe it was caused by the swelling of his foot from bumblefoot, and pushing it into the spur. It has gotten pretty badly infected, and despite peeling the scab and soaking him over a few days now, I've barely managed to force any infection out, or find anything blocking it that is easy to notice. My mother gave me a bottle of Blue Lotion and told me to use it, and that it will fix it even if there is still stuff inside-- is this safe to do? I know it seals wounds, but I am worried that sealing it while there could still be a kernel or something inside could make it even worse in the long run. I will gladly apply it if not, though!

Do you have a current photo of the foot today?

Blue Lotion shouldn't hurt anything, it will just make it harder to see what's going on with the foot.
Sorry, was working! I got pictures of how it looks post-wash today. The nail is off to the side(near the spur) and the wound is starting to scab over again, but when i removed the scab last, I couldn't get anything to come out outside of a small amount of pus. I've been trying to bubble stuff out with peroxide, though. Think this is safe to put blue lotion on, or should I do more work on it before using it?

Attachments

• IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1185.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 7
I think I'd clean it well. Pack it lightly with triple antibiotic ointment and wrap it. Keep him on clean dry bedding, then re-check it in 2 days. see what it looks like then.
I'd be hesitant to do more digging.

Is vet care an option.

I think I'd clean it well. Pack it lightly with triple antibiotic ointment and wrap it. Keep him on clean dry bedding, then re-check it in 2 days. see what it looks like then.
I'd be hesitant to do more digging.

Is vet care an option.
The closest poultry vet is about 2 hours away, sadly. I considered bringing him in despite that, but I'm hoping I can handle this from home. He had a few other spots of infection where I removed the scabs and cleaned them out for him, and they are healing now. This is the last injury, but it is a nasty one, and I can't get it to drain. Been applying antibiotic cream and cleaning it daily, trying to soften it up enough.

Back
Top Bottom