Quick question on egg carton incubating

Farmer Kitty

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Wisconsin
Okay, I've got a diaper wiper heater that I made into a bator. I want to start another batch of eggs tomorrow but, the ones in the skillet bator are due to hatch this weekend so it's not available.
fl.gif

My questions are:
1. When putting the eggs in the egg cartons do you cut the bottoms out for heat and evaporation or no?

2. Would it be okay to stack the eggs in order to fit all 12 or should I only set 8 and do the other 4 later? I will be moving them into the skillet bator after the other hatch is complete.

Here is a pic:
Wiperbator.jpg

wow I've never even heard of these! guess it stays at 101 or you wouldn't be considering it Kitty.
That's great lol
can you make a shelf over those eggs from hardware cloth for the other eggs? also give a place to sit water container...

Last edited:
I don't know what they stay at. This one didn't work. I have installed a small lightbulb. Upper left corner.
Here is the bulb setup:
Wiperbatorbulb.jpg

And the view from the top with the lid closed:
Wiperbator-top.jpg

It is humid here due to all the rain we've had lately so humidity won't require much. A damp rag in the corner across from the bulb will probably be enough.

Adding a layer of hardware wire between the layers of eggs is no problem. I would lay the top layer on their sides. Would this be okay?

Me? I think it looks great....it's only till the panbator is free again too, right? which should start tomorrow night!!!
I think this being small inside the double decker idea is good for temporary use like you're doing.
Hope it doesn't get too hot is all.
So maybe Monday at the latest hatch should be done?
Very excited for you! you're quite ingenious too...like Miss Prissy! are you related?

No we are not related.

Yes, it is until the skillet bator becomes available after the current ones hatch.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
There is no way I could hatch that many in the Wipe bator it is to small the poor things wouldn't have any room to hatch in much less move in afterwards.

Okay, I just checked the temp of the two spots next to the light bulb and they will be to hot! I can use those spots (with inserts-maybe plastic egg halfs) for water.

Thank you justchicky! What do you guys think, plastic or metal?

Vamp-A-Billy Princess-Can you stick a thermometer in yours and see what temp it gets to? Enquiring minds want to know!

Back
Top Bottom