Quick Question: Order Chicks from CA or OH?

In years past I shipped some of my chicks but now I only ship eggs. I had no problems but didn't ship in colder weather. Again, good luck and have fun...
I'm hearing that a lot from the local breeders and farms - no more live birds. I'd LOVE to hatch, but I don't have a huge flock, I already have one roo (and he's enough!), and I don't raise birds to eat.

I love to hatch. I hatch out chicks every year, but I hatch out at least a couple hundred. I do grow them all out and keep the best as future breeders and sell the rest. I keep most of the females but sell most of the males. I'm lucky that I have a buyer who will take them and pay a fair price which helps to offset the price of the feed. I have processed birds in the past but not anymore. We do have a butcher down the road and If I want chicken or any other meat, I get it from the butcher. I don't need a freezer full of chickens so I sell them. I do sell my eggs.

I've had great success with Meyer. You need to order now though because they run out of breeds fast. They take preorders. I usually order in January for a April or May hatch date. You can order for a winter hatch date, but the minimum order is much larger. Minimum spring order is 3. I've seen a post on here were someone ordered from Meyer and lived in Hawaii! I can't say the same though as I live in Pa... so pretty close. Meyer raised their shipping prices this year to $50 though. It was something like $36 in years past....

Back
Top Bottom