Quick question, Rooster schedule

ashenapple

Chirping
Apr 9, 2022
Washington, USA
I looked around and searched but I'm not sure if I've seen this question yet, apologies if its already been answered somewhere.

My small flock of 5 are about 19 weeks old now. They're my first flock on my own so some things are still new to me - they are Lavender Orps so I'm not expecting them to be laying just yet but we are getting setup for that. One way is by working on a new late-morning release schedule for them. However, I'm wondering - does that include their rooster? He's a sweet boy but also energetic and really loves being out in the morning to try to out-crow the neighbor rooster down the road. Is it okay to release him in the mornings but keep the gals inside longer, or do yall think that will stress them out?

I have had to keep one houdini hen inside the coop during the day one time while i fixed a section of fence around their run that the others ignored, and he kind of just stayed by the door but otherwise seemed okay - he ate and drank normally.

Anyway I'm just curious what everybody's experience has been!

(the boy in question for chimken tax:)

roo.JPG

Well they are kind of huge chickens and while they generally LOOVE sleeping all cuddled up, I'm not sure if cooping them up when he's used to being out at sunrise is a good idea - but again I have no clue. He's also getting a little more frisky so I guess I would also be watching out for if the hens get too fed up with him.

I'm game for doing whatever, but I guess I'm just wondering if someone has specific experience with either option and prefers one over the other. :)

I haven't tried to separate my boys from their ladies for any part of the day. I can't imagine he'd be happy away from them.

I didn't find it necessary to confine my girls to their coop in order to get them to lay in the boxes. The first ones figured it out rapidly with just a couple floor eggs and each batch of pullets have followed on after that.

If your coop is tight enough that you don't like the idea of confining them inside it you *might* want to consider expanding. :)

Our coop/ roofed run combination is big enough for the flock, because there are times when they need to be locked in for extended periods. Like this year because of AI. And very possibly again this fall, same reason.
Too small a coop and safe run causes all sorts of problems, especially social issues in the flock.
Mary

I'm not worried about the size of the coop/mini run that's connected to it for short term stuff - they normally are let out into a covered bird-flu run that's like 20x25 feet. Its more that he's been frisky and the hens have been putting him in his place with all that space but I'm not sure about if they're confined more than that.

But if none of yall have issues with it then I guess I'll just watch closely.

edit: saved before i said thanks for the input! I don't -want- to separate them at all because in general aside from some squabbles they get along great, I just wasn't sure/needed reassurance i guess! Also because it just seems like he really enjoys being out as the sun rises, if not before it!

Back
Top Bottom