Quick question

super rooster

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 23, 2011
ok I know this is the same old question. I just bought 7 new hens mostly RIR. Also I have 2 spec Sussix and 2 Ameraucana. Everybody was laying really good, now everybody has went on strike. I did change there diet, the guy i bought the hens from was strickly feeding cracked corn. I am feeding Dumor laying mash. Is the change of diet the culprit or is the new coop and run. Or maybe a combination of both. I have 11 hens and one roo. The coop is 8x12 and the run is 10x32.
idunno.gif

welcome-byc.gif
sounds like you have a nice setup for them, but any changes takes time to feel comfortable with so give them some time, and you did the right thing in changing their diet which will be another bonus for you and healthier hens. All the best.

Last edited:
I think 2 years. I thought maybe that could be it. But i am now seeing feathers? Is there something else to look for when a hen goes to molt?

The layer mash has protein (that the corn did not) which helps feathers. Glad you're feeding them better also! I believe (from reading) when feathers come in during molt you have a rapid molter, a good thing!

Quote:
Mine stop laying for a week or two, then you start seeing feathers everywhere. It seriously looks like someone had a pillow fight - the first time I saw it, it freaked me out thinking I lost a bird to a predator.

Here's my buttercup last year about 1/2 way through her molt.
SDC10881.jpg

And here showing off her one tail feather:
SDC10879.jpg

Thanksk for the pic. No I dont believe that is the issue. How long does the molt usually last on average.

Back
Top Bottom