Quick Question.....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by krista74, Sep 9, 2014.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I have a 3 day old chick, whose Momma is a RIR and Father is a BO.

Are there any markings that might indicate sex in this type of cross, or is it a matter of waiting until he/she is 3 months old and evaluating feathers, feet and stance etc?

(Out of interest, he/she is an orangey-yellow colour with a little brown smudge on the forehead, down the back and across the wing - so sweet!)

Thanks in advance,

Krista

2. Areolyn

Areolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    De Leon, Texas
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You probably won't be able to tell the gender for at least eight weeks, as a chick with those parents won't be sex-linked. If "it" develops a large red comb early, it is likely a male. Thick legs and a tall stance can also be indicators of a male. However, it will take a while to definitively know whether it is a pullet or not.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  4. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Thank you! I guess it will be a matter of 'wait and see' for now. [​IMG]

I am reasonably good at determining gender at 3 months, particularly since I am familiar with the two breeds involved.

The good news is that either way the chick will have a good home - If it's a pullet, I'm keeping it, and if it's a cockerel my brother is looking for a new rooster, so it's all good!

It will be interesting to see how this little chick grows out. I've never had chickens before and this was my very first hatch - 'Peepers' is the only one who made it out alive.

I am hoping for better results with Broody #2 in 18 days time. I'm worried Peepers is lonely so I 'need' at least one more chick to 'keep him company.' [​IMG]

Chicken math at it's best! [​IMG]

- Krista

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on that. Sex linked offspring require a hen with either a silver gene or a barred gene, neither of which BOs have.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Correction, neither does the RIR have the silver or barred gene.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by