Quick Question.....

krista74

Songster
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
Victoria, Australia.
I have a 3 day old chick, whose Momma is a RIR and Father is a BO.

Are there any markings that might indicate sex in this type of cross, or is it a matter of waiting until he/she is 3 months old and evaluating feathers, feet and stance etc?

(Out of interest, he/she is an orangey-yellow colour with a little brown smudge on the forehead, down the back and across the wing - so sweet!)

Thanks in advance,

Krista

You probably won't be able to tell the gender for at least eight weeks, as a chick with those parents won't be sex-linked. If "it" develops a large red comb early, it is likely a male. Thick legs and a tall stance can also be indicators of a male. However, it will take a while to definitively know whether it is a pullet or not.

Last edited:
Thank you! I guess it will be a matter of 'wait and see' for now.
hu.gif

I am reasonably good at determining gender at 3 months, particularly since I am familiar with the two breeds involved.

The good news is that either way the chick will have a good home - If it's a pullet, I'm keeping it, and if it's a cockerel my brother is looking for a new rooster, so it's all good!

It will be interesting to see how this little chick grows out. I've never had chickens before and this was my very first hatch - 'Peepers' is the only one who made it out alive.

I am hoping for better results with Broody #2 in 18 days time. I'm worried Peepers is lonely so I 'need' at least one more chick to 'keep him company.'
wink.png

Chicken math at it's best!
big_smile.png

- Krista

You probably won't be able to tell the gender for at least eight weeks, as a chick with those parents won't be sex-linked. If "it" develops a large red comb early, it is likely a male. Thick legs and a tall stance can also be indicators of a male. However, it will take a while to definitively know whether it is a pullet or not.

X2 on that. Sex linked offspring require a hen with either a silver gene or a barred gene, neither of which BOs have.

x3

Back
Top Bottom