Quick - Roast chicken carcass...

Quote:
That's not what I've heard. Don't you remember that time....

Missprissy(bows to the Goddess of soup), so you can slow cook the bones
and anything else? How long should you cook it for?

I have a turkey carcus that's almost picked clean but I don't wanna waste
it. My mom said it wouldn't make good soup. She's a great cook but she
isn't a fanatic like me. I believe it's a sin to waste food. If it's edible eat it
or at least use it for the animals.

Quote:

big_smile.png

Last edited:
You can make stock out of just about anything, PC.

Dump the carcas in a big pot or crockpot, you can break it up first if you need to.

Add some onion, garlic, pepper, carrots, celery, whatever you have, it's all good.

If you don't have any skin of turkey add a bit of butter to help the stock along.

Cover with water. Set on low. Simmer all day or overnight. If you don't think the broth is rich enough add some more water and let go again.

I had some chicken bones and skin that I let go for for 48 hours.

The stock is a rich amber color when strained and the fat rose to the top about 3/4 of an inch.

It is so rich that to make soup I'll have to cut each quart of stock with 1 or 2 quarts of fresh water.

Have fun with it. You can't mess it up. It works the same with beef bones and scraps, or pork, or deer, or turkey, or chicken, or pheasant, or guinea, or even fish - stock cooked low and slow is always best.

Thank you, ozark hen. You are my best cheerleader!
smile.png

Last edited:
I've got a roast chicken carcass in my crockpot right now! I've got it covered in water with carrots, onions and garlic. No celery here either. I hate the stuff. I put in lots of fresh ground black pepper too.

Quote:

Missprissy(bows to the Goddess of soup), so you can slow cook the bones
and anything else? How long should you cook it for?

I have a turkey carcus that's almost picked clean but I don't wanna waste
it. My mom said it wouldn't make good soup. She's a great cook but she
isn't a fanatic like me. I believe it's a sin to waste food. If it's edible eat it
or at least use it for the animals.

I worked for a veterinarian who would use the carcass for stock, then put the bones in her pressure cooker and cook them until they were absolutely mushy and give them in small amounts to her dog.
No waste there!

Back
Top Bottom