Quiet Chickens?

Birdman18

Songster
14 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Hi,
Would anyone know of a breed or breeds that are known for being quiet and dont make too much noise. I have pheasants, quails, and doves so would their be any breed that isn't louder than these. I was thinking of raising some but have neighbors close by. Then again they have dogs that are always barking, i dont see why a few chickens would be a problem.

Thanks so much!
wink.png

Chickens in general are quiet, usually only loud before or after they lay their egg. Now of course there are the seperate personalities, like one of my Wyandottes, who are VERY loud on a regular basis. She's not loud per say, but she talks ALL the time!! Her name is Chatta because of that.
smile.png

The most quiet breed I had/experience with are Easter Eggers. But, of course, since they are crossbreds they can vary quite a bit. Also, my New Hampshire Reds hardly let out a peep! Even their "cackle" after they lay is very mute, low pitched, and quiet. Otherwise, they don't say anything.

I think my quietest breed was white faced black spanish and White rocks. Of course, roosters crowing is pretty loud regardless of the breed. I would suggest looking at the wonderful breed pages this site offers for more addition on temperament and quietness.

That's going to be a tough one, you want to cull any roos that make it into your flock to eliminate the majority of the noise. For the most part hens don't say too much. Maybe a when they get stirred up by way of harassment they might audibly let you know they aren't pleased, but it passes quickly.

Thanks everyone for replying I appreciate it!

I guess i'll have to do some research on the breeds to find the quietest one there is.

Thanks Again!
wink.png

I think neighbors who have barking dogs DESERVE to have some chatty hens move into the neighborhood!
We have two barred rocks and two easter eggers, and they do have their moments when they're letting everyone know how amazing they are at laying eggs, but most of the time they just coo and chortle to themselves.
Although they do let me know when I'm late with breakfast!

Silkies!

I told my neighbor about my new chicks and she never even knew I had chickens! We are seperated by my thin woodline, behind me.
She has never heard my roo's in 9 years.
My neighbor to the left hears him occasionally, when she is gardening in the summer.
The neighbor to the right did not know (5 years) until I warned him about his dog running during the day. Now, the dog is out at night only.

Back
Top Bottom