Quiet/docile Long Term Layers

Well they are always going to sing because chickens want to be pop stars. You can’t do anything about that.

So for the OP who needs to not draw attention to having chickens there really aren't any that will be quiet enough that the neighbors won't know is my point.

My 3 Buff Orpingtons are serious about setting, not so much about laying. They will each lay about 8 eggs, then go broody. I let them set on golf balls for about ten days, then break their broodiness. After a bit they start to lay, then the cycle starts over again. I don't remember if they are 2 or 3 years old, but they did this their first laying cycle and have done it ever since. Sweet girls but not great producers. So they don't sing that much. If you don't want a lot of eggs and just want lawn ornaments and moderate bug control, they might do.

Why is it unacceptable to replace every two years? If it’s for the gap of eggs while waiting for others to grow, you rotate, don’t replace whole flock. If it’s because you don’t want to turn your pet into chicken and dumplings, then I agree.

my plan for 7 would be:
Buy 4 in 2020 summer (now)
Buy 3 in 2021 spring
Eat 3 in 2022 fall (will be a rough winter that year)
Buy 3 in 2023 spring
Repeat
You’ll always have 3 egg layers each winter.

Why is it unacceptable to replace every two years? If it’s for the gap of eggs while waiting for others to grow, you rotate, don’t replace whole flock. If it’s because you don’t want to turn your pet into chicken and dumplings, then I agree.

my plan for 7 would be:
Buy 4 in 2020 summer (now)
Buy 3 in 2021 spring
Eat 3 in 2022 fall (will be a rough winter that year)
Buy 3 in 2023 spring
Repeat
You’ll always have 3 egg layers each winter.
The OP stated in the first post they wanted birds that layed for a long time, so I would assume they don’t want to replace chickens every two years. It isn’t very convient for most people and you can get breeds like BOs, BRs, EEs, Ameraucanas, Sussex, and so many more that lay for 4/5/6 years.

Back
Top Bottom